Yeti GOBOX Collection

Buddies NM speed goat

Lostinthewoods

I had the pleasure of taking someone on their first big game hunt ever and help them tag out on a fine animal.
Earlier this year (well 2016 season before the draw) my neighbor told me he was interesting in hunting, so I helped him apply for elk, deer, and antelope.

He was SUPER lucky and drew a very nice antelope tag. It's a 40K acre ranch and he was the only hunter.
For those of you who don't know, antelope rifle tags in NM have VERY low draw rates.

We loaded up my trailer and headed out to the ranch. After a sleepless night we hopped in the truck and waited at the ranch gate for the sun to come up. Once we have enough light to see, we started our search. Within 50 minutes we got into them. The sun was directly in my eyes and my neighbor says "STOP" I looked out his window and saw some antelope about 50-60 yards away from the truck. I didn't stop because I didn't want to spook them. We drove a little bit beyond and got out of the truck. We got off the road and I confirmed which antelope he needed to shoot. 70 yards, broadside, BOOM.... he made a really nice shot. It doubled lunged him and he didn't even run.... he just sat there. WOOT! This is where it got silly.

"Great shot Shane! good hit"
"He's bleeding Dan!"
"I know Shane, put the gun down"
"But I am right on him! He is still standing...want me to shoot?"
"Shane, you made a really good shot...he is dead, you don't need to shoot."
"BUT DAN, I AM ON HIM....I CAN TOTALLY MAKE THE SHOT"
"Yes Shane, I know, but you made a good hit and he's going to go down."
"BUT I HAVE A SHOT.....AND MY LEGS WONT STOP SHAKING"

I knew Shane was on an adrenaline overload and I wasn't convincing him any different, so I said "Ok Shane, shoot"

boom.

Another great shot.

"Great shot Shane, same spot! Nice!"
*Looks over and Shane has reracked and is back in his scope*
"DAN, HE IS STILL UP, I AM ON HIM..."
I already knew how this was going to go so I said "send it"

boom..... antelope down.

"GREAT JOB SHANE, HE IS DOWN!!!! CONGRATS!!!!"
I look over and Shane is reracked and back in the glass.

"Shane.... he is down buddy.... put the gun down..."
"I JUST WANNA WATCH AND MAKE SURE HE STAYS DOWN"
"Shane... he's 80 yards in front of us.... you don't need a scope bud haha"

He was on such an emotional overload of joy and happiness!
I had him gut the animal and quarter it with minimal help. He is now hooked.

On the ride back he said "I have no idea why I shot three times" lol

[video=youtube;qEgsQXfQYU8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEgsQXfQYU8[/video]

I cannot even imagine how much fun you guides have when you take out clients who get their first kills. It must be silly like what I got to experience.

Congrats to the first time hunter on a great goat and to you for your write up that had me laughing the entire time as I read it!

Awesome write up! You had me laughing good ha ha. Man it's people like you who get more people in deep with hunting. People who reach out in the name of hunting and share their knowledge and experience with a beginner/first timer. I hope to do the same one day as I gain more knowledge and experience. I saw my first bull elk from someone just like you, and even put my first stock on an animal. Congrats to you and your neighbor. His bar is set high now ha ha! 1 for 1!

That sounds like my wife's first antelope this year (and first big game animal). It was amazing to watch her excitement!

Hell of a buck your buddy got! Good on you for helping!

Good for him and good of you to help in out. Guys got a nice hat too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back