Advice regarding CDS variables for 308

beginnerhunter

I have a stainless tikka T3x .308 with a VX3i CDS. Planning on using Nosler Accubond 165 grain. I do not have a chronograph and the elevation will be significantly varied.

Anybody have any experience here? Can I use the velocities given by Nosler or is it vital to get a chronograph? How big a factor is the elevation? Would like for it to be good to 500 yards. Thanks!

It's my experience that factory ammo velocity is generally higher than that is achieved from the standard rifle so I feel that a Chronograph is important.

Here's the alternative...shoot the rifle with the dial that came with it and get your dope based on actualy impacts of shots out to 500 and tell Leupold your data.

Last edited:
from my experience, chronographs just get me in the ballpark and i always "true" my velocity like stated above by shooting out to 500 to confirm. elevation does not make a huge difference if it is +- 2,000 feet or so. the areas i hunt are from 5,000-8,000' so i usually set my elevation for 6,500 and it's pretty much right on for anywhere i hunt.

I agree, don't worry too much about elevation if your focus is on killing animal instead of punching bulls-eyes.

Shoot the rifle in the field from 100 to as far as you will be comfortable taking game. Record the results, plug it in to an online ballistics calculator. Then, make a chart and use the MOA dial supplied with the scope. mtmuley

A guy that sells custom Leupolds with a CDS-like turret advised me that he feels that the elevation is good for a 5000' range. So if you set the elevation at 7500' you should be good to go from 5000' to 10 000'. FWIW...

If you don't have enough range to shoot all the way out, use a velocity that should at least be ball park. Go to a ballistics program and get the drop for each yardage based on your sight-in and velocity. Then, go to 100, 200 or whatever your sight-in distance and shoot a couple rounds at each setting for your scope based on the drop as calculated. It should be real close.

I use a chrono and get the dope set for my scope as outlined above. I then shoot it at distance to check the calculations. I have a 550 yard range and my calculations have been right on for the most part out to that range.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back