Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

1" vs 30mm

Blackbart

Hello everyone,

I am completely new to rifle hunting have shot a couple but would like to get outfitted to hunt rifle season, I'm limited t o getting just one gun right now that I will use for deer and elk. I have been reading everything I can find and watching every video too. I am curious about the difference in 1 inch versus 30mm tubes and would love input on scopes.

I am looking in the under $1,000 range.

Thanks for the input.

Leupold vx3i 4.5x14x30mm CDS around $480 from a hunt talker Pat Schmalts if he still has them.

The 30mm tube gives you a higher range of adjustment than the 1" tube.

If you're just starting out either one is going to work fine. 1" tubes are much more popular and common, although the 30mm is gaining popularity as of late. IMO 30mm is more prevalent in higher end scopes. 1" scope rings are usually much easier to find at local retailers. 30mm does give more adjustment as the previous comment stated, but IMO that's really not going to be a factor for most hunting applications unless you are shooting very long distances or in competitions. 30mm is also said to transfer more light to the eye, but IMO the difference is negligible to the average person.

Many very nice scopes for deer/elk hunting can be had for less than $1,000. IMO you really don't need to spend much more than $400-$600 to get a good quality scope. Brands I would recommend would be Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, and even Bushnell's higher end scopes, etc...

My advice on buying optics is to try to find a store where they will let you look through different scopes outside in natural light conditions, preferably in low light conditions (at dusk). Pick whichever scope looks clearest and brightest. Also consider warranty and customer service aspects. I've never had a problem with a scope (knock on wood) but I've heard many good things about Leupold and Vortex warranty.

It depends on what you want for a scope, too. I have started to go more toward the fixed-power scopes and highly recommend the SWFA scopes. They are 30mm. If you are going with a variable, there are many good scopes out there, especially if you are a set-and-forget guy.

You just have to decide exactly what you are expecting from the scope that you pick.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

As I said I'm a newbie so I appreciate all the information I can get. Sounds like a trip to Cabelas and Sportsman's Warehouse are in order to see what they will let me try.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back