Caribou Gear

Happy New Year from a new ID hunter

RunWilderness

Greetings from SW Idaho.

I grew up in a non-hunting suburban Illinios household, but I've always loved the outdoors and have been increasingly interested in learning to hunt. I've bungled after birds and been successful with some small game, but after reading through all of the great 2016 season threads, I have committed to making 2017 my first big game hunt.

This sites strong DIY, away from the roads, and public land ethos really appeal to me. I'll be on the look out to learn all I can and find other hunting partners. But in the current political climate, I am also looking to become involved in protecting our wild public places. Whether I am hunting or just hiking, running, skiing, or enjoying a sunset and a beer after a hard day, our public heritage is dear to me and a place where I am joyed to find common cause with so many other Americans regardless of other political differences.

Happy New Year to all.

Welcome to the forum. If you want to get involved in protecting pubic land and hunting opportunity, this years Idaho legislature will give you plenty of chances to voice your opinion. Idaho's chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers would be a great group to join and help keep you informed with regard to upcoming issues.

Sawtooth, thanks. I joined BHA late last year, but besides sending them my money, I need to do a bit more to get up to speed on the specific efforts and issues underway here in Idaho.

I first saw the Sawtooths 18 years ago and it was a magical place to visit, but it wasn't in my mental horizon at the time to image permanently living near them. I fixed that problem 4.5 hrs ago and I'm up there now as often as life and work allow and whatever challenges life throws at us, my wife and I have no intent to ever leave.

Welcome to Idaho!
When it comes to western big game the learning curve is steep but if you are able to put in the time and effort you will be glad you did.

Hi all
I am also new to this forum. This year will b my first season in Idaho aswell hopefully. I have one question though about the late rifle season and when it starts. Am planning a hunt for myself and a couple friends and at this point have no interest in drawing a quality tag at this time was hoping to buy OTC and see how we go.Hunting for the adventure more than anything else. Am I missing something? Or can I go off the 2016 regs?

Thanks all

Hi all
I am also new to this forum. This year will b my first season in Idaho aswell hopefully. I have one question though about the late rifle season and when it starts. Am planning a hunt for myself and a couple friends and at this point have no interest in drawing a quality tag at this time was hoping to buy OTC and see how we go.Hunting for the adventure more than anything else. Am I missing something? Or can I go off the 2016 regs?

Thanks all

Welcome to you too!

Hi all

Thanks all

You should be able to go off of last year's regs for your general planning on dates for late rifle seasons.

Most of the southern part of the state closes either Oct 24 or Oct 31 for mule deer.

North of the Salmon River, you can hunt whitetails, on an OTC Whitetail tag until later in November.

As you start planning, decide if you want a mule deer or a whitetail, then your dates will fall in line for you.

Good luck, and welcome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back