Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado GMU 53

Hunt_WV

This unit looks interesting to me because it 90% public land with a good portion of the West Elk Wilderness. As a first time elk hunter, is this a realistic unit to hunt on foot? I keep finding old forum posts on the interwebs of people saying they would never go into the West Elk without horses. I hike about 5-8 miles most weekends in WV throughout the spring, summer, fall, but don't want to bite off more than I can chew for my first elk hunt.

I can't offer any real advice on Unit 53. Only been one prior year (2015) and that was in Unit 24 with fully guided hunt. We have a tripped planned for Unit 54 in 2017 (I guess that is this year now). Using an outfitter to pack us in with horses to a drop camp and we will branch out daily from there. We won't be too far from Unit 53. Definitely looks more rugged than Unit 24.

I wouldn't say it is unrealistic to hunt on foot in the West Elks, but you better be prepared and I probably wouldn't do it solo. I've only been on one hunt there (last season, first rifle). I was helping a friend who didn't end up getting an elk, but we saw a about a dozen and one good 5x5. It is rough country and the elk certainly have enough places to hide. That being said, the bull we saw was maybe a mile from the dirt road we drove in on. Of course, we hiked probably 7 miles to get there. Definitely do your research and make sure your expectations are real. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have hunted that area who have more info.

My father-in-law and I are also thinking of unit 53 this coming year for archery. I thought the same thing with a high percentage of public land and decent amount of elk. We don't own horses, so we're gonna do it on foot and live off of our backs.

Can be done on foot, but very helpful to have someone with pack animals to pack out an elk should you get one. Steep country everywhere. If you access the West Elk Wilderness from the Crawford area and need a game (or camp) packer, call one of these guys.
Chris at Smith Fork Ranch 970-921-3454
Tony at Landsend Outfitters 970-361-7126
Both are permitted outfitters in the area.
PM me with any specific questions, locations, etc. I was the outfitter before Tony and Chris.
Good luck! I love that country.

I did it last year on foot with a friend during the 2nd week of the archery season. The first day it snowed, hailed, rained for a few hours which made the hiking trails a sloppy mess. After the trails dried up 2 days later it wasnt bad walking on the trails. The woods were pretty thick in places. We got 1 elk about 9.5 miles off the trailhead we left at. Saw elk almost every day we were hunting but we also saw lots of other people and cattle every where.

I've hunt it a few times now and can tell you GET IN shape. This unit is rough and typically not the best for a first timer. But don't be discouraged by that If you are ready for the challenge, go for it. I heard the negative comments about first timers when I was one and we were successful and the guys that told us don't do it got nothing. The terrain is varied in the unit and but every spot I've been in has been tough hunting. As far as other hunters I've always ran into them. The unit does see substantial pressure. El unit was very helpful in talking to about his knowledge of the unit. Really good guy. good luck.

I did it last year on foot with a friend during the 2nd week of the archery season. The first day it snowed, hailed, rained for a few hours which made the hiking trails a sloppy mess. After the trails dried up 2 days later it wasnt bad walking on the trails. The woods were pretty thick in places. We got 1 elk about 9.5 miles off the trailhead we left at. Saw elk almost every day we were hunting but we also saw lots of other people and cattle every where.
Congrats on the elk! Were you spike camping out back in there or did you have a base camp and go in daily? I would like with being that far in you were probably camping out back there. Just curious. I'm about to do some early scouting up in there. That snow hail and rain mix is why we love Colorado, haha. Puts hair on your chest and takes it off your head!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back