Yeti GOBOX Collection

DIY 2017 CO Elk Bow Hunt

Think you completely missed my advise.Good luck on your trip.Might I now suggest camo shorts and wife beaters.Going to be HOT,and your hunting a BIG animal.Enjoy your camping trip.My guess is if you hear a bugle it will be from another eastern hunter without patience.Since your dead set on going at the absolute worst time to elk hunt,I suggest you find good glassing spots and try and locate some elk and pattern their movements.Spot and stalk will be your best bet.Problem is the elk will only be on their feet a very short time during daylight in August heat
More hunting options open up for you if you wait for the rut

mixedbad - he said is his original post he was coming in August...

Brotherhood - I pretty much disagree with what mixedbag says anyway. I've had bulls in range opening weekend every year since 2011. I find elk easier to call in during pre-rut. Once they're in a full on herded up rutfest, good luck pulling a bull away from real cows. Sure its a lot of fun when they're bugling, but just because they're vocal does not translate into opportunities. I find the core of the rut overrated for killing elk.

I understood what he said.I was letting him know that I'm it's a BIG mistake.He's going to a place he's never set foot,and will be trying to locate silent elk.You may do well but I'd bet my bank account your hunting the same areas since 2011 and know the elks habits there.I agree the herd bull will be next to impossible to get away from cows but theres usually a few satellites that will come running in
But disregard what I've said, you'll have an incredible trip opening week of archery.According to Vanish your hitting prime time,lol.

In all honesty I wish you and your group a great successful trip.I won't post my suggestions on your thread.Best of luck brotherhood

It's all good fellas, all comments are happily taken into account. Our thought process is to get ahead of the gunfire that starts on 2 Sep. We won't be calling, I will likely take a cow call but only use it in an emergency situation. We know it's going to be hot, I am a weather guy by trade. We plan to utilize our numbers and spot and stalk. Our basecamp will be around 9500' and we will likely have to get near 12k to be successful. Honestly I am a meat hunter, first thing that walks in range of me over say 300-400 Lbs is getting an arrow.

Last edited:
You may find cows at your camp altitude that time of year. I do. It sure beats gasping for breath at 12,000ft and I live at 8000ft.

mixedbag - You're absolutely right, I have a lot more experience in the area I hunt than Brotherhood will in his. My first year there it took me 3 weekends to find an elk. However, I was just pointing out that you seemed to take offense to Brotherhood not adjusting an already set schedule (for all we know he has no say in the timing) based on one person's advice; which seems a little silly. Then, you cast his timing as a waste of time; its not. I never said its prime time either.

Let's give him support!

Best of luck Brotherhood!

By the way, what "blasting" on Sept 2nd? Muzzy seasons starts on Sept 9th. Is there some early rifle hunt in the area?

I have hunted unit 41 for the last 10 years which is in that part of colorado. If you are going to hunt that early be prepared for hot weather, not a whole lot of talking, and don't pass on ANYTHING!!

Everyone has been saying how hot it is which is true, but that doesn't mean you might not be looking at snow or at least temps in the low 30s at night. Last year for opener we had light snow opening morning and rain all day.

Great part about early season is elk are particularly stupid for the first week. Any kind of pressured area they tend to be a lot more cautious after that and most likely you guys will be going to a pressured easy access area.

In Colorado unit 53, I have had plenty of action the first week of archery season. The beauty of early September is less people hunting and the elk haven't been pressured.
Good luck Brotherhood- hope to see a story and pics from your hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back