DIY 2017 CO Elk Bow Hunt

Brotherhood

All right fellas, we are in full mission planning mode. A group of 6-8 of us will be heading to CO for the early bow season this coming August. We have done a good bit of information gathering and have chosen an area to target by using known elk data available from the CO parks and wildlife.

We plan to arrive two days prior to opening day and set up camp; utilizing the day prior to opening day to scout and last minute planning. We plan to split into two man groups with one guy calling and one primary shooter; a question I have is it too early to call? Will the Bulls be bugling and such at the end of August?

We plan to stick around for about a week; buying the OTC either sex tags; personally I am not going to be picky especially after drivin for 23 hours one way. I am in it for the meat anyways. And the bow hunter success rate is right about 12%. We work hard and will put in the miles, hopefully 1-3 of us will connect.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I will post any other questions we have.

I'd suggest first watching Randy's elk hunting videos on YouTube. Nobody knows how much bugling there will be until we get to that time of year, don't bank on hearing bugles.

Will do, crushing the podcasts now. Very informative for sure. Thanks for the bugling info.

As with any new critter or areas that you hunt, use this trip as a learning experience for upcoming elk hunts. You may very well kill one, but if not, it won't be too disappointing. Besides, I doubt this will be your last trip. It's addictive.

I am probably the last person on this forum to make any suggestions on calling elk, but I do use alot of my turkey hunting/calling knowledge during elk hunting. Saying that to say, don't call too much.

Totally understand Genesis. I have been out West before and love the scenery; was just never in a position to chase after the game. We are pretty mean turkey callers; first time turkey hunting I bought a Knight and Hale slate call and watched the video; yes a video tape…. Went out the next morning and killed two; obviously lucky sons of guns. Certainly don't expect anywhere near that come August but we had planned to utilize the turkey knowledge if the elk were bugling. If not there is always plan B; spot and stalk, willing to put in the miles away from the masses.

I would definitely say u stand a better chance at bugling Activity the last week of season versus the first. I would not expect to hear much the first week. There of course is always the exception but primarily the better bugling will be end of sept. I'm not saying the early season doesn't have other advantages and u may be able to call one in easier due to several factors. But for sheer bugling/rutting activity u can't beat end of sept

I did my first DYI otc archery hunt in Colorado 2016. I was 16 days solo in the bush. I have listened to every single elk calling podcast, practiced my diaphragm calling every day, watched video after video of sequencing and techniques. I used my bugle once and a calf call twice the whole trip. The only actual elk bugling I heard was on Sept 13 and Sept 16 around 3AM near spike camp!!! Actually finding elk, then effectively putting on the stalk on with using every ounce of patience you have is 90% of killing an elk with a bow. Calling sound be on the bottom half of your priorities. Hunting with that many dudes you can really gain a lot of knowledge just by glassing, especially with 8 hunters.. With so many glasses on the field someone is bound to find the herd and pattern how they are moving.

All great points fellas, thank you guys so much! We do plan to work together in some sort of fashion. Setting up multiple observation points and working from there. The unit we are targeting only has a 20% hunter success rate for 2015, pretty stable at that rate in years past as well. Should we try for a unit with a higher success rate? The number of elk are there.

I was in unit 53 co last year on a first time archery diy wilderness hunt otc with a friend. We went the 2nd week of the season. We heard elk bugle a few days in a 7 day hunt. Get up and out before the sunrises and stay until you need a flashlight to get back. Elk only made noises the first and last 30 minutes of light. It was also between 60-70 almost everyday however one day it snowed hailed thunderstormed and then rained. Basically impossible to get away from people and cattle where we were at. We did get 1 elk 9.5 miles away from the trailhead and had a chance at a few other cow elk. I will be going on another otc archery elk hunt this year but we will be going to a different state or area.

Good info, thanks. A few of us have thought about not coming back to camp for a few days; maybe overnighting while on the search.

Generally there will be very little loud bugling and calling that early in the season. As you get closer to the rut, the calling heats up. I wouldn't plan on using a lot of calls.

Since you referenced turkeys, think of it like early season turkey hunting or early whitetail hunting. Instead of cold, its hot and the elk are in similar large groups, usually seperated by sex. There really isn't a lot of mingling of the groups so the normal rut calling will not be present.

Focus on food and bedding sources and isolated water sources, especially if the area does not have an abundance of water. Bulls tend to be as high as they can be. That is relative to the area, while the cows will typically hang around consistant food sources. Early season can be tough due to the lack of vocal-ness and herd activity, but time behind the glass will pay off. The one nice thing about early season is the animals are typically very easily patterned as long as you don't disturb them.

I have some friends that hunt gmu 63-64-65. Some live there others are out of state. After hunting those areas for 8-10 years,they only go the last two weeks of season now.

If you're hunting opening weekend, in Southern Colorado, I wouldn't expect to hear any Elk vocalizations, unless they are from another hunter? I live in Southern Colorado, and you're more apt to hear a Bull bugle mid Sept. to mid Oct. than early on. Then, a lot of the Bulls these days don't really let out a big classic beller, but rather a more subdued, muted call. I've found a few chuckles may be more realistic to a Bull's listening ears than the big, classic multi octave call. Yeah, I've let a few of those rip, when trying to locate Elk in the dark, but if you're trying to call one in, I think less is more. For early season hunting, I've found fairly good activity at wallows, that seems to taper off somewhat as the archery season progresses. (That could be related to hunting pressure though?) So, I'd be looking for ground sign and then subtly hunting those areas. If you're calling, but they're not interested in coming to a call, you're just telegraphing that "something's" nearby, and possibly ruining your ambush chances?
Just my opinion....

My advise is DON'T LEAVE HOME TILL SEPT 15TH.Let out locator bugles right before dawn and then put the bugle tube away.Move in close and cow call.Did I remember to tell you not to leave your house till sept 15th??It's so much easier locating elk in a new area when they are talking.Go to the beach with your kids in August.Go elk hunting mid-Sept

We are leaving late on the 22nd from Pensacola, Florida and Clarksville, TN. I have to pick up a buddy in San Antonio on the 23rd. We will be checking in on the 24th putting up camp and such. Game day ready for the 26th. That being said we may have a spot or two open if anyone out there wants to tag along. If so, hit me up on the PM.

Back