Easy way to put tire chains on

Brittany Chukarman

Some may find this useful. Make up some 2x6 blocks with slots for the cross links. These blocks don't exactly fit these chains but they still work, there's just more slack to work out. I like to have most of the chain behind the tire then once I'm on top of the block I drape it over the tire and connect them in the front.1-IMG_2709.JPG2-IMG_2711.JPG3-IMG_2714.JPG

Looks like you have some snow. I was doing the same thing today. We have a good foot and a half and more where it drifted.

How do the blocks help over just driving over the chains? The thing I learned early on was to put the chain before you need them. Trying to put them on after you're stuck sucks....

Another interesting theory that my bro-in-law had was that the third set of chains you put on (the second set on the front) made almost as much difference that the first set made. (He grew up in a western MT logging family). After trying it a few times, I tend to agree with him... He did blow the gear set in his front axle of his 1T ford diesel in about '93, when I was right behind him in about the same truck.

I've always just drove on them. I can see how this could make it slightly easier though.

What I like about it is I always stop where I want instead of guessing and what LopeHunter said, being able to move them laterally to fit easier.

I prefer to do it buried in a snowdrift precariously hanging off the side of a forest service road. So I guess we all have our own routines.

I prefer to do it buried in a snowdrift precariously hanging off the side of a forest service road. So I guess we all have our own routines.

This method has served me well, for many years...

I am afraid the wood blocks would just encourage me to build a fire to keep warm while hanging chains.

Chukrman, You out recovering some meat today?
" RICHLAND, OR: 41 head of elk perished this morning after falling through the ice at Brownlee Reservoir near Richland. According to Brian Ratliff with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife the herd had been bedded down on the Richland side of the reservoir last night and was attempting to cross to the other side this morning when the ice broke in four different spots sending the herd into the water. Ratliff says that when the ODF&W arrived the ice was too unstable to reach the elk, most of which had already perished."

Ben there too. But you forgot the handman jack on the bumper because you are ether unable or afraid to move the truck.

Chukrman, You out recovering some meat today?
" RICHLAND, OR: 41 head of elk perished this morning after falling through the ice at Brownlee Reservoir near Richland. According to Brian Ratliff with the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife the herd had been bedded down on the Richland side of the reservoir last night and was attempting to cross to the other side this morning when the ice broke in four different spots sending the herd into the water. Ratliff says that when the ODF&W arrived the ice was too unstable to reach the elk, most of which had already perished."

I got the call about it this morning while they were still alive. My road was drifted in and I didn't what I could do anyway. I offered to help with salvaging the meat if ODFW would allow it. There's a guy in town with a flat bottom airboat that might work. Makes me sick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back