Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

A sheep story:

I didn't catch what state you were hunting. Guessing from Oak's comment must be CO

Outstanding photos and story! Bummer the sheep won but if they didn't win part of the time we wouldn't all be so obsessed with the hunt. Well done!

Not sure who the buddy is that got homesick but hope he was a teenager. Otherwise, that is the saddest part of the write-up. Certainly you need to take care of a sick person sharing the camp since an appendix splitting or altitude sickness is serious, life-threatening developments, but homesickness?

I agree on the logistics. I tend to overplan my application choices and then once draw a tag then overplan the adventure. I still get blindsided by a once-in-a-decade sort of curveball from time to time. I try to roll with the flow though more than once have sat in the tent on a long hunt and wondered if was time to pack it up and be back home in a warm, dry bedding eating some nice comfort food. I find that having an iPod with tunes or a Kindle with a book or two will help me reset so by morning am ready to hunt another day or two. Dry clothes help. I hate a damp sleeping bag and putting on wet socks though sometimes those are the cards dealt.

I very much enjoyed reading about and seeing the photographs of your hunt. Thank you for sharing.

That was a great Saturday morning read. Sounds like you had a great experience, even without punching your tag, as it should be. Nice pictures.

A summary of the hunt... I have no remorse of not getting a sheep, the odds were against getting the size of ram I required using a bow, they are taken there sometimes but generally only with the rifle tag. It is a small population of which I ended up seeing 17 rams (at least 14 different) and 20+ ewes/lambs, well over half of the total population, assuming it is accurate, of course.

I was disappointed in my failures as a hunter, knowing it was rough I just HAD to be in better condition, yet I was fat and soft, no excuse for that lack of preparation, and 8000' per day will expose it very quickly. Only good news is no 5 year penalty box wait before applying... though it is a rather slender silver lining! Already drooling over this years draw odds for other hunts, life goes on!

No doubt in my mind at the tender age of 55 you would leave the majority of people in the dust Squirrel - gout and all! You put in the effort and it didn't work out - it happens to the best and thankfully the critters get to win once in a while!

Your trips are what dreams are made of and your writing style is unbeatable! Your humor is as good as it gets!! Thanks again for sharing all the laughs. You and a few others are the only reason I get on this sight anymore.

Some get out and do it and some become internet trolls because they are incapable.

Way to live the dream my friend!

Awesome read! Thanks - I enjoyed thoroughly! Amazes me the writing and photography skills some of you guys have!

To the interested party. Here is the furthest you can get stock. Note the elevation where left hand rocks meet right hand timber, that is approximately the elevation of the saddle (not much) water is level 100 yards to the right. This will keep you away from all those damn college girls in their shorts n tank tops...

I tried to send this in a PM but the button-pushing kicked my ass.
IMG_2038 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back