Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Alaska black bear hunt guestion

TXinTN

My son graduates from High School in May and I was wanting to take him to Alaska the last week of May for a bear hunt to celebrate. Looking to do either a boat or lodge based hunt, non guided. Has anyone done this in the last few years that could point us toward a reputable charter company or lodge? Am I correct that there are places I can do this with an over the counter tag?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

In Southeast AK, it is on a draw for self-guided non-residentd. A few places might have left-over tags.

TX--I told my son if he got all A's in High School that I would take him on a bear hunt. My original plan was to go to the place I've bowhunted in Manitoba for years. Well, the way things worked out I had to come up with a new plan and we are renting a 65' cruiser out of Homer. Four other good friends are joining us. For 75% of the price of MB, I don't have to haul my own food up and cook it, or sleep in a tent. Bears or not we will have GREAT scenery and great fishing. It also turns out renting a 35' RV for 10 days and parking it at the dock while we are on the boat hunting is half the price of 3 motel rooms and one economy rental car...another bucket list item checked off.

The small investment in his grades with this carrot dangling has scholarship offers of over $100,000 per school on the table so far. Win-WIN!

Most of the places I talked with earlier this fall had plenty of openings.

I'm so jealous! We fished in the Homer area our last trip. Spent a couple nights there and even went out to the Kilcher homestead. Managed to see Otto while we were there.

It also turns out renting a 35' RV for 10 days and parking it at the dock while we are on the boat hunting is half the price of 3 motel rooms and one economy rental car...

Wow! That's awesome! I'm definitely leaning toward the boat thing. The fishing sounds like a blast and a great way to relax when we aren't chasing bears.

Our plans are mostly firmed up.

Flying into Anchorage and renting a car for the week to drive down to Homer. Flying Alaska Airlines, and I signed up for their Mileage credit card. I was disappointed to find out that I couldn't use the $99 companion fair and miles on the same trip. What I thought would be almost "free" airfair ended up costing around $900.

We are using Ninilchik Charters as a fishing guide/hunt transporter. I've had a chance to talk on the phone with the boat captain, and working on getting some references of past hunters with them so I can pick a few brains on how to make this a successful trip. I think our gear is in order. Guns, bullets, knives, packs, binos and a spotting scope. Good, broke-in boots and rain gear. Basically taking the same list of gear I would use on a trip out west minus the food and camping stuff since we are living on the boat and they are feeding us. Bear Tags, hunting license and King salmon stamp is bought. Still need to print up a harvest card and buy a 7 day fishing license. What am I missing??

Very excited about the trip and spending a week with my boy before he goes off to college!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back