Caribou Gear

Iowa antlerless late season muzzy

duckhunt

Going through my gear now. We have kids coming for supper sunday at 5. Told the wife Im pulling out at 8 and heading to the driftless region of north east Iowa. Hopefully redeem myself from the troubles of early season.

Sorry for the late post.

Ended up waiting for my younger son to get home the tuesday after xmas. Went on a scouting mission Wednesday morning at yellow river state forest. Ended up on a icey level b road in the hills. Turned out to be a white knuckle ride. Found some standing corn at the lansing wildlife area. Did an afternoon sit but saw nothing.

Thursday was very windy so we scouted some new areas (french creak wma). Tried some spot and stalk wich is something we usually dont do. Spotted some deer but they gave us the slip. Icey crunchy snow doesn't work well when trying to be quiet.

Friday morning we tried some more spot and stalk. No deer to be seen. We did another afternoon sit by the standing corn. After about a half hour I hear my son fire one off. Im thinking awsome. I gather my pack and head over his way. When I get there he has climbed half way up a tree and was sitting in the crotch of a branch. Not very stable for a shot. He climbs down and we look for blood. Looks like a clean miss.

Boy had to be home by noon on saturday so we headed home in the morning. No deer but I had a blast with my boy. We also checked out some public that we have never hunted before. I cant wait until next season.

Back