Yeti GOBOX Collection

Prime Rib Roast tips?

Reverse Sear is the way to go!
Perfect medium rare edge to edge.
Room temp roast. Cover with olive oil then course salt and any other rub you like.
Oven 200 degrees roughly 5+... hours until internal 125.
Pull out let rest an hour, it will probably go up to 135 internal while resting.
Put back in at 500 degrees 10 to 15 minutes to make a nice bark.

Well, I stuck to my original plan. 8 lb bone in roast - 500 for 30 min. Wife thought the house was on fire. Then 300 till 125 internal temp. Turned out great. Thanks for the input everyone. Merry Christmas!

how about a picture?

Idid my moose loin just about the same way, although with a shorter cook as it was only 4 pounds with no bone.

Put all spices into soft butter and mixed well, then slathered all over roast. refrigerated a couple hours then tossed into a 500 degree oven. cut temp after 20 minutes, and was done in 30. rested 20 minutes before cutting. made a quick Au Jus gravey from the drippings that basically constisted of melted butter and all those great spices. Added a little chicken stock and red wine to drippings when warming the sauce on stove.

the family loved it.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 251
how about a picture?

Idid my moose loin just about the same way, although with a shorter cook as it was only 4 pounds with no bone.

Put all spices into soft butter and mixed well, then slathered all over roast. refrigerated a couple hours then tossed into a 500 degree oven. cut temp after 20 minutes, and was done in 30. rested 20 minutes before cutting. made a quick Au Jus gravey from the drippings that basically constisted of melted butter and all those great spices. Added a little chicken stock and red wine to drippings when warming the sauce on stove.

the family loved it.

My moose ended up brined and smoked, although yours looks pretty fantastic. I imagine that cow eats much better than mine.

20161224_151114_zpsd6h5arjg.jpg

I also did a prime rib, but it wasn't memorable.

I've had good results (it's the only way I've cooked it) with a reverse sear method. Basically you cook it on low heat (~200*) until you get your desired internal temperature then crank the heat and put it back in to get your crust. If done correctly, it prevents grey colored meat around the edges.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe.html

Curious to hear if someone has experience with both traditional methods (high to low heat) and reverse sear.

There is no comparison to this method, best prime rib every time!

how about a picture?

the family loved it.

...looks amazing. Taste as compared to beef tender?

I always go pretty simple on rib roasts. I use course sea salt and course pepper. I put mine on the smoker at 250 until internal temp hits 130 and then I pull it and wrap it in foil.

I don't like them rare rare. They turn out pretty good.

Really like the 500 degree option, and don't go crazy on rubs all it needs is plenty of salt and pepper. Go heavier than you think since it is a big chunk of meat and you are only seasoning the outside.

I like it on the bone, your butcher can cut it from the bone and tie it back on. The best part of the whole affair are the ribs and the meat attached to them.

I usually go 7 minutes a pound then shut off the oven and don't touch the door for a couple of hours. You will need a good exhaust fan if you haven't cleaned your oven lately.

taste of moose loin? well, Moose is the cleanest tasting, least gamey, of all the big game I have eaten, except possibly Oryx. And I have had just about everything. It is extremely lightly flavored and to me, amazing, and better than beef. Very tender if cooked with care and of not it can be a bit tough. I have harvested bull and cow moose, both were awesome.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back