Prime Rib Roast tips?

Beartooth83

I'm going to do a (beef) rib roast for Christmas dinner. From those I've talked to and the things I've read, this seems to be my plan:

-Let the roast come to room temperature for around 6 hours.
-Use a roast with bone in (serves as a rack).
- Separate the roast from the ribs and season all around, then tie back together.
-Apply liberal amounts of salt, and pepper (thyme, rosemary, garlic optional)
-Roast at 500° for roughly 30 min
-Finish @ 300° until internal temp reaches 125° (some say to just turn the oven off after the initial 500° roast)
-Let rest for 30 minutes, and internal temp should rise to around 135°

I've also seen some that use a bath of Worcestershire sauce, then season, or coat it in a butter paste with the seasoning mixed in it.

I'm curious to hear how you guys do it.

Your plan looks good, the 125 temp is perfect and the 135 finished roast will be delicious. My father-in-law cooked one for x-mas a few years ago and he cooked it to death because my mother-in-law likes her meat well done. That was a total waste of a great piece of beef.

I just finished prepping ours. I seasoned it with a rub I get from the local cattlewomans association, smoked paprika, kosher salt then drizzled Worcestershire over it. I haven't settled on times and temps but I think you have a good pretty good plan.

I've had good results (it's the only way I've cooked it) with a reverse sear method. Basically you cook it on low heat (~200*) until you get your desired internal temperature then crank the heat and put it back in to get your crust. If done correctly, it prevents grey colored meat around the edges.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/12/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe.html

Curious to hear if someone has experience with both traditional methods (high to low heat) and reverse sear.

I usually use a dry rub of your preference, or can buy it pre-seasoned. entirely coat it with Horseradish mustard. apply rock salt till evenly coated. roast to your preference. When it come out peel off the outer crust and "ENJOY".

I just picked up an 18#er today and will basically do your plan. If it's good enuf for Peter Luger's Steak house, it's good enuf for me.

image.jpg

I typically make my own rubs but this one is the best I have had for prime rib. I have my family send me some from Stater bros back in Ca every year

I've tried several ways but the that has worked best for me is you start by letting it get to room temperature, take soft butter and rub it all over the roast, apply your seasonings. Set your oven too 500 degrees and cook 5 minutes per pound of roast, then turn the oven off and don't open the door for 2 hours. Add an extra 5 minutes at the end and it turns out perfect. And I forgot to add you cook it uncovered.

I rub the roast generously with course salt, pepper, and minced garlic and let it sit over night in the fridge. I do let it come up to room temp, then smoke to 125 degrees, and transfer to the grill to quickly sear. It's pretty important to let it rest before slicing. 20 mins should do the trick. I usually serve with homemade horseradish sauce: 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt, course black pepper, prepared horse radish to taste, salt, minced garlic, and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Go to Serious Eats how to Cook Perfect Prime Rib. It's a great read and makes a better Standing Rib roast than 95% of the restaurant ribs. I use Pioneer Woman's rib roast seasoning recipe for the rub.

Well, I stuck to my original plan. 8 lb bone in roast - 500 for 30 min. Wife thought the house was on fire. Then 300 till 125 internal temp. Turned out great. Thanks for the input everyone. Merry Christmas!

I did mine today on the smoker. 400 degrees for 40 mins then 275 for rest of cook. Took about 3.5 hours. I pulled when it was just shy of 130 degrees and rested for 45 min. It shot up a little higher than I was expecting. I should of pulled at about 120degrees. Still tasted Awsome and will have lots of good leftovers

Hank Shaw says to massage in oil and then down sage or dry rub, then go at 350 until you reach 110 or 115 intrnally and remove while you crank to 450. Once at temp you put it back in until it gets to where you want it. I recall 125 for rare to medium rare. I'd go to about 127 based on a deer roast I did yesterday. Then pull and rest for at least 15 minutes. I'd suggest 20 or 25.

It should take only about an hour for a 5-6 pound roast.

Wife did well on our 4 bone in rib roast. Made some sort of butter concoction she saw on FB that she rubbed on it. 5min per pound at 500º then a 2 hour rest WITHOUT opening the oven. Then 30min at 375. Turned out great!

What we always did at the restaurant I worked at was. In a bowl or container I would add onion powder, kosher salt, coarse pepper, thyme, rosemary, sage, and granulated garlic. I then would add oil to it to make a type of runny paste. Rub all over and place in the oven or shaam on low. Normally around 200 until you reached your desired temp.

Jamen

Back