MT Sheep Hunter Fined

I already used it to wrap presents in

I would say that questioning a man's competence in his job on a public forum, and claiming to have evidence to prove the case, and then failing to pony up, was just as dishonorable as attributing a statement to a stranger that the stranger did not make; but then I have to remember you're my buddy and you're just messing with me. I'm glad we're such good friends. I'd hate to see what you are capable of with your enemies. Have a good night, buddy. I won't tell Santa.

I would say that questioning a man's competence in his job on a public forum, and claiming to have evidence to prove the case, and then failing to pony up, was just as dishonorable as attributing a statement to a stranger that the stranger did not make; but then I have to remember you're my buddy and you're just messing with me. I'm glad we're such good friends. I'd hate to see what you are capable of with your enemies. Have a good night, buddy. I won't tell Santa.

Yes, I am just messing with you. Have a good one buddy.

Lots of fodder for thought..... Is not restitution (which I agree with whomever said is a different animal than penalization, not to be confused with "penetration") but is it not placing a "monetary value" on big game, which some of you abhor?

This should be a new thread but I can't figure out how to start one....however I can not wait for the rationalization, and justification of why it is right for the state to place a value on an animal and set precedence.

Eric. I can't put a monetary value on the deer that live on the property I own because I am not the owner of the deer. The state has the right to place a value on the wildlife as the state is the owner of the animals.

state is the owner of the animals.
Wildlife is entrusted to the state on behalf of its citizens. When a trophy animal is illegally taken, it is illegally taken from the citizens and the state places a criminal and a monetary value to be extracted from the criminal, again on behalf of the citizens of the state.

He deserves to have he book thrown at him not for shooing the sheep but for ignoring basic hunter safety well learned to "identify your target and beyond" this guy is clearly too dangerous to be hunting if he ignores those basic rules

I'd say this is a more reasonable outcome.

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/local...educed_fines_for_accidentally_killing_3_sheep

Last fall, Jeff Fleming was facing nearly $33,000 in fines and a 30-month loss of hunting privileges — the penalties for accidentally shooting two bighorn sheep in the Knowles Creek area near Plains.

But his debt to society has now been paid with just $1,800 in fines. He also looks forward to having his license reinstated after he completes a remedial online safety course.

Judges, wildlife managers and hunters all helped change Fleming’s fortunes. The experience has bolstered his trust in Montana’s hunting regulations. Now, he’s urging his fellow hunters to follow those rules.

Thanks for posting the followup. I am satisfied with the new outcome.

We continually watch guys get off for various reasons. We must police ourselves. If you see something, say something. County attorneys and DA are guilty of letting many of these incidents slide. That said, it seems a big price for self reported. May have to do with restitution and if so, hard not to support. This fella will be back and be much more careful and hopefully a better hunter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rimfire45
Back