Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

My Muzzleloader

RiverRatt

Just recently joined and thought I'd share my custom built smokeless muzzleloader. It's a 45 caliber and puts the smack down on about anything it hits.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'm in the process of building another one off a savage action next time around. This gun with the right bullet and powder combo can shoot past 600 yards with moa accuracy, with the right trigger puller ;) .

Farthest harvest with this gun was 309 yards in western Nebraska on a whitetail buck. Taking it antelope hunting next September, can't wait.

So i'm scratching my head here because my familiarity with this type of muzzleloader is basically non-existent. Is this a smokeless rifle? What's the ignition source?

It's basically built like the savage smokeless muzzleloader using a 209 primer. This has a 45 caliber McGowan barrel shooting bullets sized to fit barrel. Currently I'm shooting 300 Hornady SST bullets @ 2700fps. I have some higher BC bullets. You can also shoot Parker Match Hunter bullets or of it with higher BC that are capable of 600+ yard shots.

My next build is going to be with a Brux barrel in 45 caliber.

So much for muzzle loading being a "primitive" hunt. Good grief, hunt with a center-fire, if that is what you are looking for. Not a fan.

Good job on the build, though.

So much for muzzle loading being a "primitive" hunt. Good grief, hunt with a center-fire, if that is what you are looking for. Not a fan.

Good job on the build, though.

+1 No offense to RiverRatt, but I've often said that new muzzleloader "technology" in simply re-inventing the modern smokeless cartridge. To each his own I suppose, but I don't see the attraction personally.

Proud to be a PA resident where our late muzzleloader season is flintlock ignition only, open sights only(they just recently allowed the use of fiber-optic sights). In PA you can only use an in-line during a special early season for doe only.

I do understand the thought of being primitive and I've heard the same comments that have been mentioned here. In my state of Nebraska I follow the rules and if I were to hunt in another state I'd follow the same rules there. Even though it's very similar to a center fire it isn't just as much. I still load from the muzzle end, it still doesn't always go boom, and it's only one shot.

For those who think a muzzleloader should only be capable of 50 yard shots, well muzzleloader have been shooting 1500 yards before any custom smokeless muzzleloader has been built.

https://youtu.be/7fGolpACPWU

I agree, nice gun.

It's tough enough to find new hunters without existing ones "eating their own". Obey the laws and hunt ethically. Good luck.

That is sweet! I like people that think creatively and push the limits.
People like what they like and they like to project their ethic on to others. the truth is, in hunting there is no ethic but the law (which often is not based on ethic or common sense) and what each individual determines to put on their self. A reasonable physical restraint for one person may be impossible for the next. Obey the law and enjoy your hunt.
The only down side to this, that I see, is that 45 cal may not be legal in all states and for all species.

I'd like to go elk hunting one day and was hoping to use it during the rifle season but haven't looked at laws and regs for either Wyoming and Colorado. I just recently bought a 7mmag Incase I couldn't use my smokeless.

Thanks for the comments guys, this gun is my baby and I take a lot of pride in it. I've got a lot invested in it and if I can use it I would rather use this instead of a center-fire, out to 500 yards it will out shoot most center-fire rifles.

What powder are you using? How many grains? Any idea what the pressures are?

70 grains H-4198
300 Hornady SST
49ooo pressure maybe little more
Barrel is rated for 120ooo pressure and been tested up to 100k

45 cal is legal in Nevada but not that scope. Sweet rifle how does it shoot with xxx or xx?

Back