PEAX Equipment

My Muzzleloader

I'd like to go elk hunting one day and was hoping to use it during the rifle season but haven't looked at laws and regs for either Wyoming and Colorado.
Scopes, smokeless powder, and pelletized black powder are not legal during the CO ML season. I'm actually not sure of the legality during the regular rifle season.

Muzzleloader
• must not be capable of being loaded from the breech of the barrel;
• may not be loaded with any pre-prepared paper or metallic cartridges;
• must be charged with black powder, pyrodex, or an equivalent;
• must be ignited by a percussion, flintlock, matchlock, or wheelock mechanism;
• must be a minimum of .45 caliber;
• may have no more than two barrels; and
• must only use plain lead projectiles.
• Sabots or other similar power and rangeenhancing manufactured loads that enclose the projectile from the rifl ing or bore of the fi rearm are prohibited. “Skirts” or gas checks on the base of a projectile are acceptable.

The above are the Montana reg's for Muzzle Loaders in the restricted areas. During rifle season I don't believe there are any reg's prohibiting your muzzle loader.

Dan

Last edited:
45 cal is legal in Nevada but not that scope. Sweet rifle how does it shoot with xxx or xx?

Not sure I understand the question but with 300 SST it will hold a 1.5" group at 200 yards and with Parker Match Hunter 300 bullets it will hold 1" groups or better at 200 yards.

I've never shot regular black powder in the gun however there are others who have and it will produce the same groups. I know one guy who shoots competition with his and uses black horn 209 that can produce super groups with his.

Nice smokeless smokepole! ;) :D I had looked into them quite a bit a few years back before IN changed it's firearms regulations for gun season. Now that more sensible options are available, I'm not sure if I'll pursue it, but I do think they are pretty darn cool. Guy near here has been making smokeless barrels for single shot rifles for years and folks seem to have very good luck with his barrels. I have a single shot H&R that the kids use that would be an easy conversion...

That's a fine rifle and craftsmanship. I have a Savage 10ML-II - prefer smokeless powder shooting 300gr Parker Match Hunters. I think smokeless creates a 'cleaner' shot so you can see the target instead of a cloud of smoke. Agreed with many of the folks in this thread to hunt within the law, and within your comfort zone.

IMHO, Randy Wakeman provides excellent perspective on many firearms, including muzzle loaders www.randywakeman.com. For hunting western states that mandate primitive arms, the 10ML-II can be loaded with blackhorn 209 and a 440 gr HydraCon bullet, and is accurate to 100 yards.

Great job. I jut it a CVA wolf muzzleloader for Christmas do you know how far it's accurate rrange is and have any advice for me?

Great job. I jut it a CVA wolf muzzleloader for Christmas do you know how far it's accurate rrange is and have any advice for me?

Sorry so long to get back to you. I've worked with the CVA Wolf and it's a great gun. One of the ones I worried with I couldn't get it to shoot at all with sabots. Didn't try conical and believe it would have done well using them. The other shot pretty good.

What I'd recommend is Pryodex Select starting around 80 grains by volume and work up. Federal 209a primers and 250 SST with crushed ribbed harvester sabots. This load was used to harvest a deer in Iowa @ 230 yards (believe that is max) using Pryodex Select 80g by volume with a 250 SST. No need for max powder charge it doesn't completely burn before it exits the barrel. 80-90 is all you need.

You could use Blackhorn209 but it's pretty. It's a better powder but either way you'll be cleaning the rifle after every range session. I'd just use Pryodex Select and not worry about the fancy stuff.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back