Oklahoma Hunting

one,
but its great hunting and they have a second kill discount

Last edited:
so, I emailed Rocky Top and got a few answers.

A license is required $25.

The "Ranch" is about 100 acres.

2 days/2 nights hunt including lodging for $340 for one "management hog". Additional fees apply for a "trophy hog". Still waiting on what the definition is of a trophy vs management, and what the additional fee may be.

There is a discount for youth hunters, which is cool.

It sounds like a glorious high fence hunt, where one can hone his/her hunting skills on a pig that was freshly brought in.

I'm not going to judge anyone who wants to "hunt" a place like Rocky Top, but if you want a fair chase hog hunt, check out some of the public land in the southeast.

I've been to northern Alabama twice now for weekend hunts, going back for a 3rd time in March, hunting a wilderness area that has a decent population of wild pigs. It is within a Wildlife Management Area, which hold special seasons for feral swine. The first year we saw no pigs, but lots of sign. 2nd year, we saw more sign, and killed one pig out of a group of 6. We're hoping for better success this year, having gotten to know the area a bit better.

It isn't easy hunting, and nothing is guaranteed. The area we hunt is beautiful though, steep and hilly, with waterfalls and caves throughout the area. Everywhere you look, the ground is torn up with hog sign.

3-day license is $43, WMA permit is $17, camping is free, shoot as many pigs as you can, pack 'em out or leave 'em lay (although the one we got last year was delicious).

Florida has some great OTC public land hog hunting. St. marks NWR is about an hour from me and has a small game season from Jan 23 to Mar 5. Hogs are included in the small game hunts. You can hunt them with a bow, shotgun (slugs or buckshot), or a pistol. I have drawn a deer hunt there several times over the years and always saw lots of hog sign near the marshes. If anyone is interested, let me know and maybe we can hook something up.

Stuart Ranch in OK would be better. I know adjacent landowner and they definitely have hogs there. Many trophy hogs will be boars over 200 lbs I bet.

Mind boggling that people will pay $340 to go "hunt" what you can hunt (no quotes) and find in abundance for $0 on nearby public land.

Rocky Top's definition of a trophy is anything over 130 pounds or 1.5" tusks.

Me thinks I'll be taking a pass.

I would agree that many hogs can be found on public land, but most do not have the resources to hunt them,i.e. time to learn the lay of the land. Most people don't know feral hogs are smart and have an awesome sense of smell. Many are just looking for a realistic chance at a harvest. Find a place with acreage, not 100, and you'll have better success. Not saying that 100 A ranch doesn't have hogs,just wondering how many if they limit you.

Back