Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Moose and Sheep 2017

21 resident points and yes I have a unit for DIY hunt picked out.

I have been buying sheep points, still probably a long ways from drawing. But you never know... a non resident with zero points drew a tag last year.

Question for you guys... As you know, Wyo requires a guide for NR in Wilderness, but I see that there is a 'non-commercial' guide license that costs almost nothing.
But I haven't been able to find too much else about that license.
Does this license mean that if I have a resident friend (I do) that wanted to go into the thorofare with me if I drew a tag, that he could simply get this license and we can go sheep hunt? or do I need to pay a commercial outfitter?

Does this license mean that if I have a resident friend (I do) that wanted to go into the thorofare with me if I drew a tag, that he could simply get this license and we can go sheep hunt?

Yes.

If are single, one strategy I read a few years back is to head to the nearest college town and pick up a resident co-ed for the adventure. Have the co-ed get the guide license and both of you head into the wilderness to hunt and share the adventure. May want to have a backup plan, though, if are not attractive and do not appear wealthy.

I've got a sheep point and three moose points. I'll be depending entirely on luck for a long time. I won't draw if I don't apply.

Does this license mean that if I have a resident friend (I do) that wanted to go into the thorofare with me if I drew a tag, that he could simply get this license and we can go sheep hunt? or do I need to pay a commercial outfitter?

A resident guide must have a license for the same species you do. That's what the G&F told me when I picked mine up last fall. That might be a problem with sheep and moose.

A resident guide must have a license for the same species you do. That's what the G&F told me when I picked mine up last fall. That might be a problem with sheep and moose.

I don't think that's accurate, but I could be wrong. Here's what the FAQ section on the WY website says:
Wyoming statute says nonresidents must have a licensed guide or resident companion to hunt big or trophy game in federally designated wilderness areas. The resident companion will need to get a free non-commercial guide license from a Game and Fish office. The law does not prohibit nonresidents from hiking, fishing or hunting game birds, small game, or coyotes in wilderness areas. Only nonresident big and trophy game hunters must have a licensed guide or resident companion.

The resident does not need to hold a license for the same species the NR hunter is hunting in the wilderness.

It seems I probably misunderstood the G&F person from whom I acquired my permit.

17 moose points and 17 sheep points as a NR=no mans land .

You kidding? I'd love to have your points. At least you have the opportunity to draw a tag if you choose. I'm in true no man's land at 14 for each. Only random opportunities available.

I'll be waiting a while, sitting at an astonishing 2 points for Moose and 2 for sheep. Lets hope Iowa loves me long time and pulls my name on several occasions for a whitetail hunt to pass the time during my decades long wait. Maybe by retirement I'll draw the tags!

I have 4 points for sheep and zero for moose. I wish you didn't have to buy a preference point for either one, I just look at it as a $100 charge to apply for the random draw. I'm willing to spend that for the random draw on sheep but not on moose.

I have 4 points for sheep and zero for moose. I wish you didn't have to buy a preference point for either one, I just look at it as a $100 charge to apply for the random draw. I'm willing to spend that for the random draw on sheep but not on moose.

You may be paying $150 for points for both sheep and moose here right quick...and up to $75 for deer, elk, and pronghorn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back