MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Euro mount question

TXinTN

Just watched Randy's How-To video on cutting antlers off for a shoulder mount. There was a mention of CWD laws and transporting skulls. Got me wondering how I would go about bringing back an intact skull home to Tennessee if I wanted to do my own euro mount. Can it be done legally, and if so, what steps would I need to take?

I'm not sure if this is the best option, but I cut the hole out that the brain stem goes through at the base of my elk scull a little larger so I could get all of the brain out, and cleaned the scull up pretty good before travelling home. It did make it more difficult to hang on the wall since that's the hole that you use to hang a euro.
I'm sure that there are better options, but that's how we took care of it.

You'll need to check your state's laws (and the laws of any state you might be traveling through) on importing cervid parts. There are probably different rules depending on what state you are importing from and the CWD status there. Typically, if you are bringing a skull from a state where CWD is present, the skull or skull plate must be cleaned. There can be no tissue attached.

I've been looking for more information on this also. From what I have learned, we have to either boil and clean the skull before transporting it, or leave it with a taxidermist in the state you hunted and have them do the job and ship it to you.
Just removing the brain as genesis suggested above does not satisfy Tennessee's requirements.
I hope I'm wrong, but I can't find a way to do a diy euro mount without bringing a burner and a pot with you on the trip.

I've been looking for more information on this also. From what I have learned, we have to either boil and clean the skull before transporting it, or leave it with a taxidermist in the state you hunted and have them do the job and ship it to you.
Just removing the brain as genesis suggested above does not satisfy Tennessee's requirements.
I hope I'm wrong, but I can't find a way to do a diy euro mount without bringing a burner and a pot with you on the trip.

That's the way I read it as well. I did notice that it didn't apply to pronghorn.

With elk in Colorado, we have dropped off the skull and the guy had it boiled out a couple of days later. Since I live in NYS, a CWD state, as is Colorado, this was a concern.

>>>>-------->

It doesn't take much more than an hour or two to boil one out and clean it up. Just take a propane burner with you and stop in to use a car wash pressure hose to get into the hard to clean areas.

Similar to Curveball's experience, I had my CO elk head dropped off with a local "taxidermist" and I had a euro in less than 12 hours. This guy was set up well. Three propane fired boiling pots in his shop. I think he had done it once or twice.

The 12 hours gave me time to get a good nights sleep in an actual bed and take a couple showers before the 20 hour ride home.

Don't let the car wash owner see you, they don't like that here.
I would also suggest letting someone boil it for you before you go home. We have a friend in Laramie that only does euro mounts, he is licensed taxidermist by the state but only does euros. Call some taxidermist in the area you're hunting and inquire about whether they will help you out.

I know a guy from Cali that had his Colorado buck euro done in Colorado because he couldn't transport it into Cali. At least this is how it panned out.

Here's what I do, after you clean the skull off boil the skull for 30-40 mins. Cover the base of the antlers with foil or they may whiten slightly. After this process all the meat should scrape off easily. I bring a shotgun cleaning rod with a 12 gauge brush attached, clean out the brain cavity. I use a cordless drill in reverse. Once done with this I fill the cavity with feed salt, you can buy it at any feed store or if you have a local taxidermist ask him for some and bring it with you. Let the salt sit for a day or so. After this on your way home if you can find a car wash just give it a good rinse. As long as all the matter in the brain is gone you're good.IMG_2145.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2083.jpg
    IMG_2083.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 164

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back