Fin's 2017 Whiteboard draft

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Before one season ends, the next season's whiteboard is already well along in preparation. I've been working on this since the draws came out for 2016, after which I knew what points we had in each state for each species.

Alaska apps are already in. Wyoming will post its 2017 regs sometime this week. AZ will post their 2017 regs the first week of January.

Now that we have added the YouTube platform, I hope to get three additional hunts per year for YouTube. That adds more work. Most of those will be shorter hunts with far less cost in terms of tags, travel, and film permits. Some other options exist here that I've really not put on there, as they are OTC and would depend heavily on schedule openings.

Having burned my big pile of CO elk points this year, I am now in OTC mode until I build 3-4 elk points, when I will again burn them. Matthew burned his NV deer points last year, so he is at the bottom of the heap there, but is sitting on big amounts of elk points in NV, UT, and WY (max), and is close to the points required for a late Kiabab deer hunt in AZ. We both have max deer points in WY. Uncle Larry has two less than max in WY for elk and deer, with Matthew having two less than max for pronghorn. I have more UT pronghorn points than any NR in UT, so I can hunt there in any year the schedule looks to fit it. Not sure I will live long enough to plow through the 20+ UT NR bison applicants who are ahead of me. I'm at max moose/sheep in MT and two less than max for goat.

With points at those levels and the OTC/General/Left-over options, we can fill out the 2017 schedule, without to much worry. That will allow us to do some "swing for the fences" apps in MT, ID, AZ, and NM. And maybe get creative doing some other YouTube experiments.

2017 Apps.jpg

Obviously I haven't put unit numbers in here. That is the fun part of the research. I'll update this board once the drawings are completed.

Good luck to all of you this app season. I hope your mail box is stuffed with tags. Just so it's not filled with my tag. ;)

I've always enjoyed the revealing of the upcoming years Whiteboard. My season choices boils down to what tree to hang a stand!:confused:. That, and maybe a MT elk hunt and WY antelope.
I'm rooting for you to draw some awesome tags this coming year, so I can sit back and enjoy the show!

I envy the number of hunts that you get to do each year. I don't envy the fact that you are followed around by cameramen. I don't know how you do it. Best of luck next year Randy!

You should burn your Idaho app opportunity on a trophy species - moose, goat or sheep. A high desert Sage moose hunt would be cool.

You should burn your Idaho app opportunity on a trophy species - moose, goat or sheep. A high desert Sage moose hunt would be cool.

I agree, cool as cool gets. I did moose 12 years in a row on units with really good draw odds and zilched out. Did it off and on since then, with same result.

Out of all those hunts only a possible max of 2 for pronghorn? They make for some good TV/Youtube and they are as much fun as you can legally have in most states. I would suggest more speedgoats!

Don't forget, an Oregon Nonresident Spring Bear tag is only $15.50. Application deadline is February 10th and many are guaranteed draw with no points....

Looks great! Hopefully you guys can pull a couple great tags. If you guys don't score a AK bear tag (not sure if that is an easy tag to draw or not), will you be doing an OTC spring hunt in MT or ID?

Last edited:
Jealous as all get out! Good luck in the draws and I look forward to living more vicariously than I'd like this year...

Those NM archery pronghorn hunts were some of my favorite episodes. Of course, you have to draw the tag! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back