Suggestions for side arm holster

ekramer

Hey folks,
I recently picked up a Glock 20 that I plan on carrying whjle bowhunting in griz country. Does anybody have any good suggestions for type of holster to carry in an accessible place and something that wont interfere with my pack waist belt. I wonder if there is something that i can attach to my pack that might be easy to access and not get in the way. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

The best ones are the ones that'll hold a 10 oz can of bear spray.

OK HighWildFree, I agree with you 100%. I guess I should have prefaced with the fact that I carry bear spray and I don't plan on changing the fact that bear spray is my #1 line of defense. With that being said, what happens if you are Todd Orr and that bear keeps coming after you discharge that 10 oz of bear spray, or comes back for a second attack. I just want o be prepared for any situation. My sidearm will be there as an absolute last resort.

I like a good retention holster for field use. This Bianchi cordura rig has served me well for 13 years--probably worn a couple thousand days. I used it this morning while surveying owls for the Christmas Bird Count.

My holster for my 9mm is very similar to Hummer's w/mag. holster att. Very adjustable. Blackhawk? 10 yrs old
I got used to carrying on my left side/cross draw as seat belts and all really got in the way. Concealed inside back of belt if needed,but I hate even sitting in a veh. with stuff around my waist now...lol even a handy tool. I laugh when I see & someone with one stuck in the back of belt jump in a car or sit in a chair......like it doesn't dig in or pop out,lol.
If I'm carrying a pack, it get's slipped on the waist belt or shoulder strap.

OK HighWildFree, I agree with you 100%. I guess I should have prefaced with the fact that I carry bear spray and I don't plan on changing the fact that bear spray is my #1 line of defense. With that being said, what happens if you are Todd Orr and that bear keeps coming after you discharge that 10 oz of bear spray, or comes back for a second attack. I just want o be prepared for any situation. My sidearm will be there as an absolute last resort.

Fair enough. See a lot of wanna be cowboys every year. A bowhunter last year in Idaho unloaded his side arm at a bear that was latched on to his arm. Never even hit it. I use to carry spray and a sidearm like you are describing. I got tired of varying around the extra weight. If I'm in serious bear country. I carry two cans and if that isn't enough I guess it's just my time to go.

I'll try and be helpful. I think maybe badlands makes a pack with a holster. That would be my choice.

My Blackhawk holster clips to the waist strap on my day pack and larger pack. Seems to carry well. Easy to access and outta the way. Bear spray is on the other side.

My Blackhawk holster clips to the waist strap on my day pack and larger pack. Seems to carry well. Easy to access and outta the way. Bear spray is on the other side.
A 17 rd clip of HP's is on the other side of mine..lol

Never carried bear spray.
Others @ work did carry it on the job. I have been around them alot,old school,and was trained on haiseing tactics by USFW & G&F dept.s . Now all the Rangers carry spray & it's in the patrol boats & trucks.
That's just blackbears.
Did get some for the lady to take on hikes out of the cabin after they started to break in and be a problem around the lake.
If I was around Griz again I would carry spray & a 40 or 45.

Might not work great for bow hunting, but I have been wanting one of these for a while now for my ruger super redhawk .454 casull. I don't care for bandoliers

http://gunfightersinc.com/products/kenai-chest-holster/

I've been wanting to get the same holster for my .454. But not for bear like you guys deal with. Our little black bears down here in FL aren't a big deal. Although they are starting to get a lot more numbers.

You asked about holsters and I can carry a holster attached to the hip belt of my Kifaru DT2 and it rides really nice. But I have to have my pack on.

If you want to try something other than a hoster.....
https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/Default.aspx

I love my Kit bag. I carry my G20 in my original Kit Bag with a full mag of Double Tap 230gr hardcast.

Have you thought of a drop leg/ thigh holster rig? I rigged my pack to work with the Blackhawk holster. Keeps my G20 locked in. I know the holster isn't popular with police departments because individuals would shoot themselves in the leg or foot while drawing their firearm, but I've had mine for 7 years without an incident. Plus it's a low maintenance set up.

This was a cheap one, $12. Holds my wife's Glock 17 perfectly, and easy to get to.

Attachments

• IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 271
Yea, I still don't really want to carry one because its just another thing to add weight and get in the way. But i gave in after pressure from family members concerned for my safety... I actually have the badlands 2200 as a day pack which has the holster feature built in, but I have yet to try it out.

Fair enough. See a lot of wanna be cowboys every year. A bowhunter last year in Idaho unloaded his side arm at a bear that was latched on to his arm. Never even hit it. I use to carry spray and a sidearm like you are describing. I got tired of varying around the extra weight. If I'm in serious bear country. I carry two cans and if that isn't enough I guess it's just my time to go.

I'll try and be helpful. I think maybe badlands makes a pack with a holster. That would be my choice.

Yea, I still don't really want to carry one because its just another thing to add weight and get in the way. But i gave in after pressure from family members concerned for my safety... I actually have the badlands 2200 as a day pack which has the holster feature built in, but I have yet to try it out.

Have you thought of a drop leg/ thigh holster rig? I rigged my pack to work with the Blackhawk holster. Keeps my G20 locked in. I know the holster isn't popular with police departments because individuals would shoot themselves in the leg or foot while drawing their firearm, but I've had mine for 7 years without an incident. Plus it's a low maintenance set up.

I have not but I will need to look into it, thanks for the tip

I like a good retention holster for field use. This Bianchi cordura rig has served me well for 13 years--probably worn a couple thousand days. I used it this morning while surveying owls for the Christmas Bird Count.

Thanks I like the simplicity of this, will have to check it out further

Back