Arrow/Broadhead Opinions

I have never killed an elk but use the Gold Tip Hunter XT as my arrow of choice. Shooting a 2009? Martin Cheetah at 70#. I have 3 deer with this setup using a different broadhead each time. 1) 100gr Thunderhead. Unicorn buck (spike with one side broken) at 15 yards. Nicked a lung and centered the liver. Ran about 40 yards and had a good blood trail. 2) 100gr NAP Killzone. Small doe at 10 yards. Hit both lungs. Ran about 30 yards and bedded down. Blood trail like Home Depot needed a cleanup in the paint aisle. 3) 100gr 4blade Magnus Stinger (non serrated) on a 7pt buck at 24 yards. Hit both lungs. Ran about 40 yards and crashed. Blood trail surprisingly heavy from what I expected from a two blade with bleeders.

This year in CO, I will be using the Magnus Stingers for elk. I just like how they cut on contact, come shaving sharp out of the package, and with a touchup on some very fine sandpaper it's don't look at it sharp. Their warranty is also very good, you break it and ship it to them up in Bend, OR with a letter stating what broadhead it was and they ship a new one back to you. The only one I've broken was on the 7pt when it squared up a rock after passing through but I'm not going to warranty that one as it broke after killing a deer.

I have recently switched to black eagle Rampage 300. A little different than most. I wanted a smaller diameter, but didn't want to give up too much weight. I didnt want to go a true outsert either. They have half in outsert thats 56 grains. Arrow is right at 450 grains total

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back