Haul Road

Catan70

Has anyone here done it? Is it worth the trip? Looking at doing a trip like that next 1-2 years.

I've driven up the Haul Road a handful of times. Never archery hunted from the road, always flew in. It's a popular hunt in Alaska. If the caribou are there, I'm sure it can be an enjoyable hunt. If they're not, you're sight seeing like the rest. The central Arctic herd numbers are down lately. You'll hear some guys mention hiking in beyond the 5 mile corridor to rifle hunt. Knowing what I do about the tundra, I'd never do it but my personal tolerance for discomfort isn't what it once was. One option to consider is taking a raft for hunting the east side of the Sag River. It'll get you away from some guys, not all. Note, the Sag is a large swift ice cold river so know what you're getting into, even in dry years I doubt you can wade across.

If you make the drive, consider taking two spare tires and a few extra gas cans.

Drove a POS rental jeep to Coldfoot about 15 years ago in late summer. Beautiful country and some really good grayling fishing.

One thing it is not is a wilderness hunt. Don't get me wrong, it is miles and miles of miles and miles. Limited facilities, expensive fuel. If you hunt from the road, a CB radio is a good idea. The truckers will sometimes comment on game they sight (hopefully with a mile mark). Speaking of trucks - stay out of their way. Truckers don't have a lot of love for anything that slows them down. If you park on the shoulder to spot or make a stalk, be SURE your vehicle is well off the traveled section of the highway. If you do make a stalk, expect it to be interrupted or ruined by other hunters. It happens all too frequently. Expect to deal with bugs - lots of bugs. Also you'll need IBEP certification to do this hunt. If you do try the 5 mile walk-in to rifle, take a map with you - it doesn't mean 5 miles from your entry - it means 5 miles from any part of the road. ADF&G patrols the hwy from the air and write a lot of tickets for hunters being less than 5 miles from the road. A fly-in will give you a much better Alaska experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back