Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Who's Your Trapper?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Even at 1pm it is a balmy -12F here in Bozeman. Weather that makes one quick to break out the warm clothing. Finished shoveling the snow and realized I was "breaking a few beads" of sweat from my layers, specifically my beaver hat.

In spite of all the great advancements in clothing, I've yet to find anything that combats brutal cold as good as fur; all natural, organic, renewable, hormone-free fur. I'll be hitting the trapline again this winter/spring. Prices are so low, I'm not sure what I'll do with the hides. I've got people wanting some of the meat. The hides are a big chunk of work.

I can assure you that if you get a real fur garment, you will wear it when the temps start to bury themselves at the bottom of your thermometer. The biggest struggle for some seems to be getting the furs from the hills and creeks. For others, the struggle is the looks you get in the grocery line from those who have little understanding of trapping.

If any of you are looking for hides to make your own hat, muff, mittens, etc, there's a good chance I will have some I need to get rid off. I will be getting use of my hand muff and beaver mitts while in the duck blind later this week.

20161217_125602 (002).jpg

Here is the company in Duluth, MN that does this for me. They will take a green hide, flesh it (a big task for beaver), stretch it, tan it, and convert it to your garment. It's not a cheap process, but a fun thing to do and results in something that will last until you die.

http://www.usafoxx.com/ - http://www.usafoxx.com/

What kind of shipping do you use for a green hide?

EDIT: I see they have a page for that on their website.

Last edited:
I agree with Randy, real fur garments are crazy warm.

My hat, similar to Randy's was made by an Inupiaq lady in Shishmaref AK from spotted seal skin and beaver. The only trouble is, it works so well that it has to be well below zero to even wear.

I wear it the most for ice fishing, its just way too warm while hiking. Used it this a.m. when I shoveled the driveway.

I also agree that I don't think one lifetime would be long enough to wear it out...hell for stout. As to style, I say its cutting edge fashion. I cant be sure, but I bet I'm only the only person in Laramie that has a hand made, spotted seal skin bomber hat.

IMG_0528.JPG

My hat, similar to Randy's was made by an Inupiaq lady in Shishmaref AK from spotted seal skin and beaver. The only trouble is, it works so well that it has to be well below zero to even wear.

View attachment 65748

Ha! I use to fly with a pilot in AK who had a hat made of river otter. He said his head would sweat if it was warmer than -15 while wearing it. My wife made me a red fox hat that I can wear as warm as +10 before it's too hot.

I wear it the most for ice fishing, its just way too warm while hiking. Used it this a.m. when I shoveled the driveway.

I also agree that I don't think one lifetime would be long enough to wear it out...hell for stout. As to style, I say its cutting edge fashion. I cant be sure, but I bet I'm only the only person in Laramie that has a hand made, spotted seal skin bomber hat.

View attachment 65748
That thing is sweet! I hope you wear it downtown when you go out!

So what do they charge for a hat if you provide the fur? I see prices for their hats but I assume if you provide the fur it would be a little cheaper?

I might be interested in some hides for a hat and mittens but I gotta talk to them about costs first.

ADDITION: USA Foxx doesn't quote prices on request but they do offer a pricelist/catalog with those details sent by mail

Last edited:
I always loved watching the old Gordon Eastman films and one of my favorite ones is "North of the Sun" when the old Inuit lady makes him the seal fur mukluks. Pretty awesome stuff.

Fur is the warmest material I've ever found. This is my Coyote hunting apparel since my hat is so warm.

b516134289ea684a256b7623e623dcfc.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Randy for the referral. I'm just getting into trapping back here in MN. I'm mainly doing it for fun and to make gifts. This company is right up my ally.

Sleepy creek tannery does a great job tanning too and they will do green hides. Moyles is my favorite but you have to have the hide scraped and dried. I think the boy and I will dig out the rat traps tomorrow. Mama would love a muskrat pill box hat.

Back