Episode 46 - Grouse on the ground, cutting moose in Maine and eating dogs

Bendrix

Hey Randy, great episode, lots of good info for an easterner who wants to start hunting the west. You mentioned a few things in the podcast that are pertinent to hunting in the Northeast, and asked for comments, so here ya go.

We shoot "paaatridge" (ruffed grouse) on the ground. Some of the dog guys won't, or don't care to, but everyone else does. The timber is so thick here its all done on roads. Many just drive. I like to walk the logging roads especially the gated off roads. If you don't shoot before the grouse runs or jumps, he'll be in thick cover in about 8 feet of travel.

You thought it illegal to cut moose up to haul them out. Yes you can. A game warden manning a check station told me "I can always tell the guys from out west cause they drive up with the moose in parts. The local folks bring them in whole." Most do and I can't say why, expect for bragging rights. Both to show off the whole beast, and to have the adventure, work and fun of getting the moose out whole. Analogous to insane 100+ pound elk packouts from the backcountry! There are chain saws to clear a trail, ATVs and winches to move the load, and sleds of all types to skid the moose on. Plastic truck bed liners are a favorite. Cut a hole at the cab end for the head and haul rope, lash him in and have at it. Takes it all the way out of the woods and onto the trailer.

I've eaten plenty of coyote, and would eat wolf anytime. You should have saved that dog for Rinella. He's eaten coyote and was not that fond of it. I sent him my recipe, which is a simple stew. Next time somebody regales you with doom and disease from eating them, ask if they are a dog owner. I've yet to meet a serious dog owner that had anything good to say about eating one. Here's how. Hang and case skin the wolf/coyote. Strip off shoulders, backstraps and hams. I NEVER punch the guts on a dog cause I do not like the odor even if you don't break intestines. Cube the meat, sear it in oil with some salt. Don't crowd the meat while searing. Put all meat into the browning pot. Add water to cover +1/2 inch. Add 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 dry red wine (not sweet), a handful of good Greek oregano, more salt and some pepper. Stew this for 4 hours or so until the meat is super tender. Add your veggies. I like parsnip, carrot, onion, celery. For starch you could add potato, or skip potato and add barley instead. Prepare the barley apart from the stew and add after its fully cooked. if you try to cook the barley in the stew it will suck up all the water. About a cup uncooked will get you 2 cups and that's enough for a pot full of stew.

So, there you are, ground pounded partridge, cut up moose, and stewed dog. Welcome to the Northeast anytime!

Yes it was a good epsiode. The only time I shoot birds on the ground or from a tree is with a 22 but people can do as they wish it doesnt bother me any. Juat dont shoot my goose decoys haha. Getting animals out whole seems to be a Saskatchewan thing as well even in the bush its coming out whole. Here is some pictures of the last couple moose I loaded.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back