Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Fee Increase Proposal

as a non resident,,the aprox $162 just for the hunting licence to apply is one of the highest prices I know of,,even higher than nevadas price,,and that is before even putting in for a tag app..leave the prices alone I say.at least the non -res hunting licence price,,,my Idaho deer hunt this year was a strike out,, but when you add up $162 for licence,,$16.50 per app,,$20 muzzleloader licence add on,,$301 for the deer tag itself,,it adds up to about a $500 deer tag,,,,thats spendy enough I feel,,,much more than that $$ and I will be looking elsewhere to spend my non-res money,,let alone ,lodging,fuel,ect ,for the state that comes with the trip.

as a non resident,,the aprox $162 just for the hunting licence to apply is one of the highest prices I know of,,even higher than nevadas price,,and that is before even putting in for a tag app..leave the prices alone I say.at least the non -res hunting licence price,,,my Idaho deer hunt this year was a strike out,, but when you add up $162 for licence,,$16.50 per app,,$20 muzzleloader licence add on,,$301 for the deer tag itself,,it adds up to about a $500 deer tag,,,,thats spendy enough I feel,,,much more than that $$ and I will be looking elsewhere to spend my non-res money,,let alone ,lodging,fuel,ect ,for the state that comes with the trip.

Sounds like you have a great reason to support the rise in resident fees as preposed.
You might consider sharing your input with our Senator - Steve (bitter little man) Bair so maybe he won't continue to block f&g funding to force auction tags to fund Idaho fish and game.

Where would you go?

I think Idaho non resident deer tag are a decent value. I've had good to great hunting in Idaho (not much killing) and I guess I feel that if one doesn't like the resident nonresident disparity there are two easy ways to rectify it. Don't go or move. I know that's simplistic but it's hard to see that out of state hunting is something to which I'm entitled cheaply. I sure could be wrong.

I have no problem with resident fee increases. Let's be honest, if I buy the Sportsmans pack it costs me less than $150. I piss away that kind of money in my sleep, metaphorically speaking.
Cap the number of nonresident tags available. Raise the prices to keep up with inflation. Allow residents to purchase second and third tags from the nonresident pool(first come, first serve) at 33% of the face value.
If you want to keep nonresidents out, put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise, allow them to help fund the wildlife and enforcement. WHAT I WANT IS A NATIONAL HUNTING AND FISHING LICENSE.

Let's try to keep this topic on target - Idaho resident fee increase. If you want to discuss NR rates or wildlife management, start another thread.

This proposal is important for Idaho sportsmen. There are two funding proposals being considered: 1) Resident fee increase and 2) Auction tag system similar to Utah. IDF&G wants the resident fee increase. The last one was twelve years ago. Legislators, being directed by a prominent businessman, want to change Idaho's system to match Utah. To be specific, Senator Bair believes he can double the $3.5 million spent on habitat improvement by selling auction tags. Simple math, $3.5 million times 2 is $7.0 million. How many NR tags will leave the drawing pool to achieve this? (My estimate is around 1,000 per the cost structure presented previously).

Idaho residents want to pay the fee increase as has been demonstrated by surveys by IDF&G. Idaho Legislature is starving IDF&G to achieve it's goal of making Idaho into a Utah light. I choose to pay more and keep Idaho's existing funding system. If you feel similar, speak with your legislators, email all the legislators and show up at the legislative session to support IDF&G.

Last edited:
To be specific, Senator Bair believes he can double the $3.5 million spent on habitat improvement by selling auction tags. Simple math, $3.5 million times 2 is $7.0 million. How many NR tags will leave the drawing pool to achieve this? (My estimate is around 1,000 per the cost structure presented previously).
He only wants the best 1000 non resident tags to go to auction. Dan, that 5* mule deer tag you drew last year definitely falls in that category.
Maybe us resident's should save our selves a dollar or two a year by allowing non residents to get a total screwing.
Or perhaps some non resident hunters should be backing us resident's up by sending emails to the Idaho resources and environmental committee. Non residents who apply in Idaho have more to loose here but for some reason feel awkward about contacting the Senate.
Resident hunters are fighting this because we would rather pay more than further erode the North American model of wildlife conservation.

Dan,

I'm sorry you struck out. I hope you still had a good time. I'd gladly spend 500 bucks for the opportunity to hunt other states. Takes an effort of saving, of course, for a guy like me. Idaho had one of the best seasons in recent memory, IMHO. You picked a good year to go. Perhaps timing and location just wasn't right for you, but that is hunting.

Anyways, the purpose of this post was to focus on resident increases, not non-resident. I have no issues with the non-resident costs, tag allotments, etc. It is time for residents to step up and pay a little more. As a resident I will be vocal if they try to increase fees on the non-residents before they increase the resident fees.

Anyways, Elkmagnet and Brymoore are driving home the reasoning of my post. Their words are better than mine, but reflect my thoughts.

Last edited:
I have no problem with resident fee increases. Let's be honest, if I buy the Sportsmans pack it costs me less than $150. I piss away that kind of money in my sleep, metaphorically speaking.

Yep, my sportsmans package is a bargain in my opinion. I don't have much else for hobbies besides hunting and fishing, so really its cheap fun for me and like said I'm gonna waste a fair amount of money throughout the year anyways, I might as well spend it on something worthwhile. If fees go up a little bit so be it, it goes to a good cause.

I fully support a resident fee increase in ID over an auction scheme similar to Utah's! I think in the long run, even the residents would be unhappy with the latter...

gotta pay to play the game. But if you use any weapon besides a rifle you have to buy a permit, why shouldn't rifle hunters have to buy a rifle permit as I have to buy an archery permit or muzzle loader permit? The amount of "Permits" that are sold so you can use a certain weapon would generate a large amount of revenue i'm sure. I'm sure that would of helped over the past twelve years with their money issues.

I have no problems with a resident fee increase.I just don't want that increase to float up in the non-res category."where would I go" was mentioned;;there are plenty of other competitive states that are "cheaper",,,Utah,Colorado,Nevada,Wyoming,new mexico ,just to name a few that I know of for sure!!!when you add up licence price,tag price,app fee,and muzz or archery endorsement combined,,,Idaho is clearly not the cheapest as all 5 states I mentioned are cheaper than idahos system.at least for mule deer.I think they are at about "middle of the road" pricing when it comes to non-res fees.

I have no problems with a resident fee increase.I just don't want that increase to float up in the non-res category."where would I go" was mentioned.

The current proposal is for resident fees only. Non resident fees were raised a while back, 2008 maybe, but resident fees haven't gone up in quite a bit longer. Give an Idaho legislator a call or email and let them know your thoughts, can't hurt.

I have no problems with a resident fee increase.I just don't want that increase to float up in the non-res category."where would I go" was mentioned;;there are plenty of other competitive states that are "cheaper",,,Utah,Colorado,Nevada,Wyoming,new mexico ,just to name a few that I know of for sure!!!when you add up licence price,tag price,app fee,and muzz or archery endorsement combined,,,Idaho is clearly not the cheapest as all 5 states I mentioned are cheaper than idahos system.at least for mule deer.I think they are at about "middle of the road" pricing when it comes to non-res fees.

Start doing some research on what it takes to draw the same caliber hunt in those states that you mentioned, and then compare it to what you can get in ID OTC, and you'll start to see that they are about on par with other western states friend :) Just trying to share some of my hours of research. Preference points cost money, and then there is the years of sitting on the sidelines to consider as well....

Sorry to derail the thread, It's hard for me to speak to ID, as I have not been there in years, but I think generally res license fees need to go up across the west if we want to keep what we have.

Last edited:
I have done my research and definitely do not think that Idaho is at the top of non -res" best bang for the buck" so far in Idaho I am 1 out of 4 now,all controlled hunts,and it was no throphy.look at oregons fee increases and look at the debacle we got here in Oregon,,,poor management,and nothing but forked horns mainly if your lucky.{{Oregon state fact;;67% of all deer harvested last year were forkys}}sorry folks for hi jackin the thread,,I just feel that fee increases rarely are a good idea,,,though im clearly against Idaho switching to a Utah type system.I am reserved about the caliber of hunts that ive drawn so far,but Idaho is close ,so that helps reduce the fuel cost for me.maybe Idaho o t c might be good??hard to tell.so far,im not impressed with the quality or quantity ive seen so far..I use Idaho as my late app state after I see what ive drawn elsewhere,,just sayin.

I'm 100% on board with the resident fee increase. I hope it goes through this year.

Dan, if the cost of daily operations goes up and inflation grows yet funding remains the same or decreases how do you expect a department to do as good of a job with less buying power?
12 years is a long time ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back