1st Antelope Hunt Question

Ksbowhunter

Hey guys been reading as much as I can on this and numerous other forums. Ive probably watched Randy's YouTube hunts a hundred times. Looking to put together our 1st antelope rifle hunt out west this year. 2 maybe 3 guys and a grand total of zero points between us. We have been looking at Wyoming but would like suggestions from the experts. Looking for DIY public as first choice and if absolutely needed would pay a small trespass fee. I tried reaching out to the WF&G for a landowner list but was told they don't do that. Few questions to anyone willing to offer advice.

1. With no points is this even doable. Or should we wait a few years and build points.
2. If we have to go the trespass route what resources are available to find a place? Is there an average fee to be aware of?
3. Is there a better state option that I'm not thinking of.

I'm sure I'll be picking your guys brain more as the hunt planning progresses but thanks in advance.

Justin

Welcome.

Others can add, but here is a basic approach to your questions.

You need to decide what you are looking for? Are you looking for an opportunity to go hunt, hang out with 2 or 3 guys each year, enjoy the time, drink beer, tell stories, eat good food, and, then harvest some antelope, does and "average/small" bucks each year?

Or, are you looking to kill a GIANT buck, one that will put your name in the record books for evermore? So that generations that come after you will know you were the best?

Once you decide what you are looking for, it will be easier to give advice on units.

Once you decide on units, it will be easier to give advice on public lands vs. trespass fees vs cheap trespass fees vs. expensive trespass fees.

There is not "best answer", it will all depend on what you are after for the experience.

Some people want to hunt every year for antelope in a state. Others are ok with a better quality hunt every 5 years, or so. Others are in between.

There is no state with a better option to go antelope hunting, than Wyoming. You may get land-owner lists from the local chamber of commerce in whatever town/area you are planning to hunt. You do not need that, however, if you do your homework. There is a lot of public option/walk-in area options for you to choose from.

You can draw some of the less-desirable areas with no points, I think. You will have to peruse the draw stats to find that out. My suggestion would be to pick up some doe permits for the first hunt and collect a couple preference points if you are wrapped up around getting a buck.

Antelope are a blast and you WILL kill one in whatever unit you choose, if you can shoot at all.

Dang guys thanks for the quick responses.

We are definitely in the first group described above. Just looking for a fun hunt with the opportunity to put meat in the freezer and maybe a chance at a representative buck for the area. I've got a 3 and 4 year old at home so getting away from the noise for a week will make this a successful hunt. ;)

I've looked at the draw results in Wyoming and I'm confused. Not the first time. If there is a quota of 1 for an area does that mean 1 tag with hundreds applying?

Picking my statewide deer tag up at cabelas every year is a pretty simple process compared to this.

I was in the EXACT same boat as you this time last year! All the way down to living in the same state! (Kansas)

I'll fill you in more later, but I can tell you that with plenty of research and prep work, it can most certainly be done! The guys on here are the most amazing resource you are going to come across!!

8.jpg

Instead of messing with trying to pay a trespass fee, I would instead just apply in the special draw. There are a few units you can draw with 0 points and be able to have a fun hunt. Or pick a unit and then also put down a 2nd choice unit, also in the special draw. Then you will have a point for next year. Even with 0-2 points in the special, there are plenty of units that will give you exactly what you're looking for.

And you can't beat Wyoming in the fact that you can get 4 doe tags and they're CHEAP!! Plus if you do archery and don't get your lopes, you can go back during rifle season.

Last edited:
I was in your shoes last year. OnXMaps app was INDISPENSABLE both for pre-hunt research and the hunt itself. There's really no wrong way to do your first hunt. Your knowledge base goes up 1000% by getting out there and doing it just once. You've got plenty of time to narrow down some unit choices, study the access issues, call landowners and game wardens, etc. The planning process was a big part of the fun for me. Wyoming is Awesome!

You can build points AND hunt every year for Wyoming antelope if you're willing to skip some of the trophy units for a few seasons. You actually don't have to hunt one of the glory units to get a good buck or pay trespass fees either.

Get the OnX chip or app so you can find the public in the easy to draw units. Use the HMA and walk-in areas in whatever unit you go for. Lots of online resources for that on Wyoming's site. In general you will find that the harder to draw units have better access and less hunters, which makes them harder to draw. There's still good hunting on the easy to draw units even if there are fewer trophy bucks.

If I were you (which I was a few years ago) I'd do the special draw and start getting easier to draw tags while you learn the ins and outs of antelope hunting. A group of us had never hunted them and just decided that we'd give it a try. I bought a book or 2 and did some online research then we just did it. It's a great time and a fun way to put meat in the freezer.
They're excellent eating and really fun. Good luck!

Hey guys. Thanks for all the input. I'll start researching special tags as well as getting my hands on the maps etc to continue my research. Look forward to hearing anymore advice you all have.

Off topic a bit but I'll probably take the family on a camping/scouting trip this spring/summer. Any recommendations on camping/fishing spots to hit up while we are out that way?

Thanks again.

Once you've had a chance to do more research and peruse the draw results, post up your questions or feel free to PM me. I've gone to Wyoming the last 5 years to 0 point units or picked up tags from the leftover list. Even in these 'tougher' units, you will have a blast.

You can do the special draw and it works to your advantage in some units (in others it just equates to paying more for the tag nothing more) but as has been said if you want to hunt antelope the mere are zero point options aplenty.

The OnXMaps tool is indispensable both for planning and ESPECIALLY on the ground.

Remember access is tricky. A Gazzetteer can appear to show you a road leading into public but there are many private ranch roads and it isn't always clear in such atlases.

I've gone zero points, leftover, and does only and ALWAYS have a blast. I'm saving PPs for a DIY Public Land Trophy hunt while learning to hunt them in the tough conditions presented in these easier to draw units. They're not a gimme but there are a lot of em, so even on a successful hunt you'll blow more than a few stalks. It's an absolute BLAST!!!!!

One thing... and I hate to burst yer bubble but you won't need a week. If you're looking to kill a week maybe get a buck tag and a couple doe tags. Fill the doe tags while scouting and to scratch yer itchy trigger finger, then take the biggest buck you've seen while chasing does.

So many great pronghorn plans, so few seasons!

If you're planning on bow hunting antelope check out my reply to Abfletcher. If you need more info pm me anytime.

We are planning 1st Wyoming Antelope hunt also, purchased PP last year and will again this year...planning on hunting does this year...can't wait to go. Going thru draw results and researching public ground and Land owner lists.

Hey guys. Thanks for all the great help. I've been a frequent visitor to the Wyoming fish and game web page learning as much as I can. I do have another question for those who feeel like still helping. It sounds like if we come up for a week then we won't need the entire time hunting if we aren't picky (we aren't). We are floating around the idea of using the remainder of our time to do some fishing. Could anyone recommend some decent trout fishing locations? Not looking for honey holes, just a general idea.

Again thanks for all the help.

That's what we did when we were out there last time. We fished at Alcova after we tagged out. You could also potentially go to NW Nebraska and chase turkeys also. If we another day or two on our trip that is what we would have done instead of fishing.

Back