Caribou Gear

2016 Gear Review. One thing that worked for you, and one that disappointed.

I played this game on Rokslide a few weeks ago. Things that work include most things I've purchased from Duluth Trading have worked well. Dave the Cobbler rebuilt my boots so we're good there. I'm not real happy with my AGC bino harness and Zeiss binos as they are both bulky. I'll commiserate about Heather's Choice...the Salmon Chowder and Tomatillo Ranchero were the most miserable meals I've attempted to eat. The Packaroons have good flavor but I'm not really keen on that much coconut.

Good: InReach SE.
Not only for that emergency backup while backpacking, also great for commuting in no cell area.
1.) I hit a deer. Took my car out of commission. That simple text was all that was needed to receive assistance from family.
2.) Came up on a wreck. No way to communicate for needed emergency response. A nurse was present to assist, my InReach had immediate response and emergency units had our exact location! This alone paid for the unit who knows how many times over and it was not even related to myself.
3.) Wife contacted me while I was hunting over our hound. Had it been my daughter or herself - Again, it would pay for itself over and over and over.

It is not simply an emergency device for me to reach out while in the back country. It has already proved itself an incredibly valuable tool, none the less the peace of mind.

Bad: Easton walking sticks with the dang spring assisted shock absorbing design. Piece of crap noisy squeaking junk for hiking while hunting. Make sure the walking stick(s) you buy do not use any spring assist for the absorbing factor. Metal spring absorbing device are flat out P.O.S! I had the Black Diamond walking poles with the compressing foam type material. SILENT and very effective.

I don't spend a lot on clothing for the most part, but here is my list of definite thumbs-up for the year (and generally every year).

My 13-inch Kenetrek Grizzlies
Sig Kilo 2000 Rangefinder
Nosler 160 Partition bullets (on elk)
Hornady 139-grain Interlocks (on antelope)
Hornady 129-grain Interlocks (on deer)
Super Sniper fixed 6x scope
SOG Hunter s30V steel knife (purchased off Camo Fire)
Outdoor Edge Swing blade knife (traded from Cushman)
Criterion Rem-age .260 Rem barrel recently put on my Remington short action
Jet Sled for meat retrieval in snow
Cabela's Alaskan frame pack
Kahtoola boot spikes

My 2010 Toyota Tundra to get me to the place where I can use my gear.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Couple of likes; Leki Corklites and FHF bino harness. I should have been using twin poles years ago.

Major hit of the year: JP Sauer and Sohn 16 gauge side by side. Absolutely love this thing.

Good: Fiocchi HV ammo. Good stuff for the price.

Bad: The shitty ball joints that Tire Rama put in my truck two years ago, and are now shot. I'll buy good ones and do it myself this time.

Loser: Barnes TTSX bullets out of my 280. Accuracy is awesome, but terminally seemed to not perform as they should...put 3 in the boiler maker on a mule deer and it still wanted to hump the doe he was after. He finally died, but not with the effectiveness as advertised. Am I alone here?

I've been using Barnes exclusively for about 17 years now, and have had great luck with them.

One item? Apologies in advance, as I'll be violating the OP request by posting the entire pile of items in one post, rather than making post for each of them.

I get sent a ton of stuff to use each year. Out of respect for companies who sent products that might not be a good application for our style of hunting, I'll only list the items I found to be a great tool for our work. I think I might be too stuck in my ways, as some of the stuff I was sent probably did not get a fair shake and often got left in camp, so it is not on this list. Some of this is not yet available with retailers, but will be in a few months.

First, items sponsors sent.

Leupold - Since the stuff I tried this year was all for 2017 and will be announced at SHOT in January, you did not see a lot of images of it.

I swore I would never remove the current library of VX-6 scopes I have on my rifles. Well, if Leupold sends me more 2017 VX-6s the remainder of my lightly used VX-6s could be sold at screaming deals here on Hunt Talk.

The new VX-(?) is going to be a big hit with our audience. Very seldom to I say, "Trust me." But in this case, trust me. If you are looking for a higher-end scope at a price nobody can come close to matching in terms of glass quality and features, you might want to sit on your checkbook for a couple months.

Leupold is slimming down the SKUs for 2017 and in doing so they are adding the desired features to all scopes and keeping the pricing where it should be. They have come to be the big dog in the elevation turret market. The CDS system is just hard to beat for simplicity and effectiveness at hunting ranges. I think every CDS scope will have the zero lock.

The new Leupold bino lineup that is coming in summer of 2017 is going to get the attention of some high-end competitors. I posted a pic of one of version we were using in New Mexico. The version that will hit retailers this summer will have even more features than what we used this fall. I will have another new addition to the bino lineup for my AZ Coues deer hunt next month. Think tripod mounted binos that Coues guys use more than any folks I know. These new binos are going to be an investment; an investment in quality.

Probably too early to talk about 2018, when spotters are schedule to be a big splash for Leupold. Again, these new optics will be an investment. If the engineers can perfect the concept they are working on, that idea will be a big change to what is currently available in lightweight (if such a thing exists) spotting scopes of 85mm and less. The compromise between weight and optic quality provided by larger lenses will be moot. Tyler Johnerson and I have been lucky to work directly with the engineers cooking this new brew. I wish concept-to-production could be done in a month. Oh well, more on this next year.​

2017 Sitka Gear - They sent me with every piece of the new 2017 product line and some 2018/19 prototypes, so a lot to report here. I'm not at liberty to discuss some of this, until the 2017 product line is officially released at ATA next month. Suffice to say, some of the prototypes I was given were very impressive for my uses.

The pants I used from late September to December were a new design/fabric being considered for 2018. I was hesitant, as my Timberline Pants have been my go-to elk uniform for the last four years. My worries were quickly alleviated. I hope they have the new articulated knee pads in all the 2017 pants, and if not, please have them in all pants by 2018. I wore these pants over 70 days this season. Not even the Colorado oak brush could phase them. I get to keep these and continue testing them in colder weather.

The updated Jetstream Jacket was excellent. Especially when paired with either of the two new "puffy" coats.

I'm not sure if the new soft-shell rain gear will be available in 2017 or 2018, but I almost lied to them last week when they asked me to turn it in with my field reports. I seriously thought about saying they got lost/stolen, etc. I wore that rain gear A LOT, both for warmth, wet snow, and monsoon rains.

And the new Flash pullover is the lightest/best solution I have found for early season mountain cloud bursts. Not sure what it weighs, but it seems less than a Snicker's bar. That is a 2017 item.

Kenetrek - I think Kenetrek has solved the mountain sock riddle. At least for me. I was provided a lot of their product last winter to try during my wolf hunts, etc. Unfortunately, schedules kept me from getting out as much as I hoped. This season I only used two types of socks. The Kenetrek Canadian and the Kenetrek Alaskan.

The Canada is a mid-weight sock that I used from August through the end of October. Some would say it is too warm for early season. Not for me. The added loft of that sock helps a ton when carrying heavy packs all day. Not much more heat than lighter weight socks, but far more comfort. I bring three pairs and rotate them every day.

The Alaska is a heavier weight sock. I switched over to that in November. I used my Mountain Extreme non-insulated boots for the entire season, even when in the single digits a couple weeks ago in Idaho. This sock is superb. Wicking is excellent, and the loft adds lots of comfort when hiking in addition to a lot of insulation value. Just loosen up your boot laces a bit to not make it super tight and pinch off circulation to your toes.​

Mystery Ranch Guidelight frame
- Everyone knows I was a NICE frame junky. I've got four packs in my shop that are on that frame. I loved it. When MR called me over and told me I had to move on to the new Guidelight frame, I was hesitant. Ryan at MR assured me I would be happy with it. Well, 70+ days of wearing it and I am convinced. People will focus on the weight difference and it helps. Feature-wise, the new waist belt design was my favorite. I'm still not parting with my NICE frames anytime soon, but I hope they give me a couple more Guidelight packs to use.

I'm not sure if I am allowed to talk about the new features goHUNT is adding to the INSIDER. I got to explore them all while in Vegas last week. I'll just make a post on that when the WY and AZ app periods are open.

Three products from companies who are not sponsors.

Yamaha Viking - I know some will groan on this. I get it. By example, the place we hunted in New Mexico was open to trucks, but even a guy who is abusive on rigs as I am would hesitate to go in some of these spots with his rig. In addition to abuse these lava rock roads imposed on vehicles, what took an hour on the Viking would have taken at least two hours in a truck. Multiply that by a round trip and a lot of time is saved. I have a lot of Yamaha products, so I am biased toward their stuff. Yet, my boat motors, generator, and now this Viking are built to last. I had never used a side-by-side before and had sold my ATV many years ago. Hopefully Yamaha lets me keep this Viking. I specifically asked for the "Plain Jane" three person version and it worked like I expected.

Hilleberg tents - They sent me two new tents, following eight years of abuse of the Nalo 2 GT. I will still be using that tent when needed. One of the two tents they sent was a replacement for the Nalo. The other was the Kaitum 4 GT. Smash hit for someone who can split weight with another guy, or as a base camp tent that gives far more mobility than a wall tent base camp. Even though the Kaitum is called a four-person tent, with the gear we carry that needs protection from the elements, I always cut that number in half and consider it a two-man. This tent has huge vestibule space for protection of your important gear (computer, cameras, media cards, batteries) and lets you use the interior for personal space. Yeah, it weighs a bit more than the smaller two-man versions, but to me, the great space increase is worth the added weight, when split among loads carried by two people. My hunting style is moving away from big wall tent base camps. This Kaitum will be far more versatile. My three wall tents are now for sale. Well, only two of them, as one is already spoken for.

Nikon P900 camera - This has an 83X zoom feature. For the price, it takes amazing video and very good images. It is a bit bulky to be considered a "point and shoot." Yet, it sure beats carrying a DSLR and a bundle of lenses. Only complaint is the battery life. Solved by picking up a couple extra batteries that are far cheaper than Canon and Sony batteries.

Randy if you're ditching the wall tents are you going to a propane stove for heat or what?

Randy if you're ditching the wall tents are you going to a propane stove for heat or what?

I'm going to propane. Wood is just a hassle in a lot of the places we go. Aspen is not really woods, in terms of a fire source. Wet cork would be a better option. P-J burn great, but burns way to fast to be a useful heat source for wood stoves without carrying a chain saw and attacking the older trees. For me, I need utility with convenience and local accessibility. For a guy who is on the road, loaded for many hunts in one long trip, and in many different landscapes, wood is just not a good option.

Things I really liked this year;

Sitka Timberline pants, wore these every day I was out in October and November, I liked them a lot!

Seek Outside tipi with stove; not mine but a good friends. It was a big winner for spring and summer trips I did in it. I still may prefer a wall tent for truck camping though

Stone glacier Sky 7400. A friend lent me his extra one to try out this fall. Loved carrying it around. I didn't pack any animals out with it (yet) but it sure was nice to pack it around

Disappointments: Not many, maybe not enough days actually hunting? Bull elk that didn't know mid September was the time to chase cows and not hang out in bachelor groups?

Lots of Hits for me:

Kifaru Sawtooth
Kodiak Canvas Tent with Nu-Way Propane Stove
Helinox Lite Cot and Ground Chair
Heather's Choice was great for me - loved it even if it takes a little longer to re-hydrate
Kimber Adirondack .308 - delight to carry

Miss:

Boots - I need to find a pair that works for my feet.
My Bow - Went with an aggressive speed bow, flinched while drawn on a bull because of the super-short valley, missed opportunity. Either need a new bow, more practice, or to re-tune it to be a little more forgiving

Dislike:
1. Although I've had a couple seasons, I'm really disliking the zipper function on the waist pockets of my Kuiu ultra pack. No complaints with the pack otherwise.

I'm with you on that one. I have the Icon Pro, but the waistbelt pockets are the same. They are nearly impossible to unzip or zip with one hand. And the hook and loop attachment that connects them to the waistbelt causes them to sag excessively after a few uses.

The only two things I changed this year was I finally got a truck (2010 toyota tundra) which was comfortable on trips to ID and AZ. Number two was I used nosler etips in my wife's rifle (7x57, 140gr) and they did a terrific job on a moose. Need to experiment a bit with my other rifles, wishing they'd expand the line to .358.

Negatives: the a-holes in the Mountain House marketing department. Looking at these three while waiting for food to rehydrate made me want to starve.

20161217_153621.jpg

A hit for me was The Sitka Stratus Pants

Miss would be these Soloman hikers I picked up. In 5 months i've worn out the soles

I really wish who ever designed Sitkas Bibs would really consult hunters that actually use bibs in cold temperatures. Their are a few things they are missing that no one else does with their bibs.

The only two things I changed this year was I finally got a truck (2010 toyota tundra) which was comfortable on trips to ID and AZ. Number two was I used nosler etips in my wife's rifle (7x57, 140gr) and they did a terrific job on a moose. Need to experiment a bit with my other rifles, wishing they'd expand the line to .358.

Negatives: the a-holes in the Mountain House marketing department. Looking at these three while waiting for food to rehydrate made me want to starve.

View attachment 65747

Those people look just like us waiting for a freeze dried meal after a long day on the mountain - OR NOT.

Winner- Tikka T3 Lite in 308 Win. with Leupold 3i in 3.5 x 10 with CDS. Action is as smooth as silk and shoots Barnes TSX 150r. bullets into .5" to .75" groups all day long. Scope is clear and crisp. The combo is a pleasure to carry in hand all day.

Loser- Didn't have any loser purchases this year, but my son and I agree with jryoung with regards to the marketing crew at Mountain House. By the time my son was done boiling water for our first meal this year, he had a whole story regarding the picture on the side of his meal bag.

I agree with Randy on the CDS dial. A few years ago I got custom dials for my scopes. I have really only needed it one time on an antelope but it worked great and has also been great when practicing. Just range, turn the dial and shoot. No messing around with hash marks or holdover.

Too spicy? Time to man up.

All kidding aside, which meals did you try? I've been wanting to order some of her items.

Ha, you and shootsmanybullets are too funny. PM me, I will send you the $15 to try the Ethiopian Doro wat. You only get one glass of water - no beer.
Then you can give me the raspberries.
After a long day and abt 12 miles of mountains I was looking forward to a good meal, I tried the highly recommended smoked sockeye salmon chowder.
I had to choke it down. That said, the oat meal in the morning was ok. The blues berries in it never did soften up.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back