Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2016 Gear Review. One thing that worked for you, and one that disappointed.

Cabelas turkey lounger. Sure beats sitting on the ground and folds up so I can strap it to my pack.

Attachments

• 20161223_171249.jpg
    20161223_171249.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 685
One other hit for me: Bipod Buddy. Adjustable rear rest has made a huge difference in my accuracy. It is like having a rear bag in the field, but way easier to pack around.

I was a rookie on a pretty tight budget this year, so keep that in mind. I know there is probably better stuff out there, but I notched my tag with it, so I'm not complaining. I'll just touch on a few items that haven't already been hashed out on the forum else where.

Hits:
Ruger American in .308 - pretty light weight, and accurate
SlumberJack Bounty 4500 pack - Handled heavy loads well, and pretty versatile
Kelty Salida 2 tent - We were stuck in our tents for a full day due to rain and wind. Never had any issues at all with this tent.
Black Diamond Storm Headlight - Didn't suck batteries too bad, but can through a good beam when on high. Also has red and green lights.
Big Agnes Q-Core Insulated Sleeping Pad - Very comfy for a 6'4" broad shouldered dude. I had the long version.
Mechanix Gloves - Great, durable, light weight gloves that were perfect to knock the chill off my hands, but still kept a lot of dexterity.

Middle of the road:
Hornady SST Superperformance 150gr .308 - I shot my mule deer at about 350 yards, and it traveled about 100 yards afterwards. I would classify it as a perfect shot right behind the shoulder, but it just made the weirdest exit wound back behind the guts. Thank God it didn't puncture a single gut, but barely left a blood trail. Could be just a weird deal.

Misses:
Danner High Ground 400gram Boots - My feet were so sore I could barely walk after this trip. I never got any blisters though. They felt fine while breaking them in in Texas, but just felt like I couldn't lock the top of my ankle in no matter how tight I tied them once I got into the mountains. (Insert tender foot jokes here.) I just don't think these are really made for extremely tough terrain.

Spent a week in the Hermosa Creek Wilderness for 2nd rifle elk. My hits and misses:

Hits:
1. Seek Outside Cimarron and small stove. Damn glad we took the stove.
2. Kuiu Icon 5200 - no issues with LOTS of weight.
3. Scarpa boots using the Lathrop and Sons fitting service. Fit like I had worn them my whole life.
4. Platypus gravity filtration system. Ease of use cannot be denied. Loved coming back to 3L of fresh water every day.

Misses:
1. Heather's Choice. I wanted to love it. The breakfast meals are good. The others are no-gos.

Hit - Beretta A400 Extreme. After the adjustment period of getting used to a new gun, I shot the best I ever have on birds. The kick off system makes shooting big goose loads pretty painless too. Can't wait for turkeys this spring!

Miss - Cabela's vacuum sealer. Got it after the FoodSaver we had for 10 years died. We figured they couldn't be that different. We were wrong. It doesn't vacuum or seal nearly as well as the old one. I think it's going in the trash and were going back to FoodSaver.

Not too many purchases for 2016, but there were one was a major one.

Asolo Powermatic 200 - Best boots I've ever owned and still waterproof after nearly 100 miles. This fall tested these boots through rain, sleet and snow and my feet remained dry the entire time. I've never been so impressed! I did have some heel blisters in the break in, but once I figured out a sock system, no further problems. Only complaint would be the insole. Wafer board insole seems useless and I hope to upgrade this year.

MY other 2016 purchase is the Thermarest Neo Air Xlite. Light, comfortable and no complaints.

Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 performed exceptionally on a long back country trip as well as a heavy loadout of meat that was in the 120-130 pound range. Pack did great and I felt as good as can be expected afterwards. Very impressed again.

Misses - I finally have to admit my gravity water filter system is a poor choice unless a generous body of water is nearby. I love the "set it and forget it" water filtration, but it is not great for filling from small sources or filtering on the go. It will likely be confined to base camp duty from now on.

On the list for 2017 is a bigger better tent option as well as Bino's.

Hits:
kuiu ultra nx rain gear - super packable and lightweight. Perfect for early season thundershower.
Sig 1200 rangefinger - it's the best rangefinder I've used in that price range

Misses:
Vortex talon HD binos - I need to send them in for repairs for the third time in 4 years.
Cheap military surplus frame pack - $40 on craigslist, I finally had to admit that it sucks after several years of use.

Hit: First Lite Unprounouncable Puffy jacket. Extremely warm and light and seconds as the most comfortable backpacking pillow I have used.

Miss: Can't think of anything I got new that didn't work out.

Back