Caribou Gear Tarp

Taxidermy question for birds

MJE2083

Forgive me for my ignorance, simple question. How do you dress/prepare a bird for a taxidermist? Do you just take the whole bird to the shop (entrails and all) or does it have to be gutted out? Can it be eaten?

I'd like to some day have some ducks, or maybe a grouse, mounted for the house. Obviously I have no knowledge of the process what so ever and I don't want to do anything that would screw things up.

Thanks!

Other thoughts:
1. Clean all the blood off, it can stain feathers.
2. tuck the head under the wings if possible.
3. cover head with moist paper towel.
4. cover vent with papertowel to prevent it from leaking on feathers.
5. make sure you double bag the bird so that no air can circulate around it. This is the biggest killer of feet.
6. I put mine in pantyhose to keep the feathers all straight and pointed in one direction. I take care to make sure the head is ok. Some taxidermist don't like this method, but I've put a lot of birds on the wall and no problem yet.
7. get to taxidermist within a couple of years. The sooner the better the mount.

Other thoughts:
1. Clean all the blood off, it can stain feathers.
2. tuck the head under the wings if possible.
3. cover head with moist paper towel.
4. cover vent with papertowel to prevent it from leaking on feathers.
5. make sure you double bag the bird so that no air can circulate around it. This is the biggest killer of feet.
6. I put mine in pantyhose to keep the feathers all straight and pointed in one direction. I take care to make sure the head is ok. Some taxidermist don't like this method, but I've put a lot of birds on the wall and no problem yet.
7. get to taxidermist within a couple of years. The sooner the better the mount.
For the most part, this is what I've done. If possible, I try as hard as I can to get them to the taxidermist as soon as possible.

I'm 54 and have been mounting birds since I was 12.

Tuck head against the body so that when it freezes the neck won't break like a twig.
Do NOT wrap in newspaper, or any paper. It draws out the moisture and will speed up freezer burn.
Do NOT vacuum seal, it will draw the blood and fluids out onto the feathers, and the checkered pattern on the bag will be branded into the feathers, feet, and bill.
I prefer to wrap in multiple layers of cellophane, squeezing the air out as I go.

Attachments

• 20160616_161417.jpg
    20160616_161417.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 188

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73