Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Goose hunting stuff

Wapiti Warrior

Ok, I am just starting out. I finally bought a shotgun that can shoot 3" steel. My friend has about 12 old decoys. I am looking for some cheaper stuff just to get started and see how it goes.
Thanks,
John

If you aren't looking to shoot limits, get yourself some good shells. They are way cheaper than full bodies and are easier to store and take with you. Remember that camo is key, after being shot at, geese are wary of where to land a lot of the time. So how you hide will be key. The last thing I will say, is learn how to call, practice makes perfect.

Thanks for the info. I had plans for this weekend to go with a guy who does it so I could learn a few tricks but with the forecast of -20 and up to 12" of snow he thought we should hold off.

Watch Craigslist or any similar type of site that you might have in Billings. Sometimes you can get really good buys on there. I've never used them but sometimes I see used silhouettes for a really good price.

Also as jhunt said, hiding is extremely important. It doesn't matter what your spread looks like if they see you.

I would also tell you that calling is more important in goose calling than in duck hunting. Get a flute, they are the easiest to learn on.

You can make silhouettes cheap. Get a sheet of cholorplast and cut out a dozen. Full bodies are the best, but also stupid expensive. I am always on the lookout for more of those. I believe that you can't have too big a spread, especially later in the season.

As other's have stated, concealment is key. If you're hunting from a layout blind, particularly a brand new one, take it out and cover it in mud and dirt to take some of the "shine" off of the fabric. Cover your blind in brush and try to use the same material(grass, weeds) that you will be laying in. No such thing as too much brush IMO. If you think it's good enough, it's probably not.

Decoys are expensive, no getting around it. As others have suggested, try watching on craiglist or other local places for good used deals. Although tempting I advise against buying really cheap decoys. I used to wait for them to go on clearance sale at the big outdoor shops, usually in late winter/early spring. I haven't hunted geese in probably 5 years and even though my decoy bags take up a lot of room, I won't part with them because I know what I paid for them.

Another suggestion if you're just starting out and don't have a lot of decoys or calling experience, especially hunting for resident populations of geese, is to scout and just hunt where the geese want to be. Find the fields where they are feeding and set up there. Sure you can call in a flock of geese if you're good and have dozens and dozens of decoys, but if you don't, just be where they want to be.

Like others have said blend in the best you can. If you do not want to put mud or dirt on your blind go buy a can of FLAT black spray paint it has to be flat. Lightly spray over your blind for a more permanent mud effect. know your area watch videos on how to lay a spread of decoys with certain winds. Always remember which way the sun comes up that can make or break your hunt if you are facing the sun. Know the birds here in ND we do an early Canada goose hunt in the middle of August we use anywhere from 4-12 decoys. sometimes a few more but you do not need a big spread til later. just get out there and trial and error!! Birds will come and your calling and way you lay out decoys will become second nature. It is very addicting and an expensive sport!

There really is nothing like watching a flock of ducks or geese cup their wings to land in your spread. Exhilarating!

Buy your shells at Roger's Sporting Goods by the case and free shipping----way cheaper! Scheels won't even price match them

Buy your shells at Roger's Sporting Goods by the case and free shipping----way cheaper! Scheels won't even price match them

Also check mack's Prairie Wing for the case with low prices and free shipping. It does not get cheaper stock up with the low prices you find.

I'm far from an expert but there are 2 rules I have learned. #1: you need to set up where they fed the day before. #2: hide like a ninja. They're not going to come if they don't want to be there, if they come and they see you, they will flare every time. Both rules are of equal importance.

If you are field hunting get a layout blind. As far as decoys you only need about a dozen good looking decoys. A few GOOD decoys are way better than alot of crappy decoys. Hit some garage sales in the spring and you can find some really good deals.

Thanks for the info. I had plans for this weekend to go with a guy who does it so I could learn a few tricks but with the forecast of -20 and up to 12" of snow he thought we should hold off.

Sounds like the perfect day to go stack geese up to be honest.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardMargarine
Back