Colorado and wolves

And yes, elk & deer are much hardier than cows. They're wild animals who evolved to deal with predators. Cows have evolved to be stationary meat sticks who poop all over themselves.
Yes, I understand, but they live with wolves all the time and have no record able loss of production or birth rates. I would venture to guess that cattle losses do to lack of birth rates, and aborted fetuses are highly exaggerated.

Shoots - the EG parasite has less threat to humans than even a wolf kill.

I believe that , but when hiking in the forest I'm going to filter the water I drink for more reasons than giardia, Just as I carry a firestick for more reasons than the 2nd Amendment.

After finding those cysts it kinda got me thinking. We can discuss parasites on some other thread, on another day.

After this years elk hunt, I'm guessing my odds are roughly 100 times more likely to be killed by a rancher than a wolf.

Wolves definitely have a much better disposition.

I'm not here to argue it. :) I know what I've experienced after being with these animals, living with them, and sleeping out among them during night watch. I don't need to convince anybody. I'm just glad our Idaho/Montana hunters have been doing their part in conservation.

I do think it's worth mentioning. Most know this here, but some do not. The Wolf highly prefers Elk meat. (fresh/live) Secondly Deer, but not as common. And they will often target Bulls, rather than cows, the weak, or calves. Only when they are desperate will they scavenge even a recent death, or bait. And often will walk right past a dumbfounded moo-cow if there's still Elk nearby.

We wintered a herd of about 120 mothers, long after all the Elk would pull out. Hence part of the problem. Lack of food source, and pressure from other packs in the lower elevations.

- Joseph

Last edited:
I think about bears, I think about lions. I even got pretty spooked by a proud cow moose that was standing in the trail this year. But I've never worried about being eaten by a wolf. They've certainly got the capability, but don't seem to exercise it.

I wish they were aggressive. I would have a stack of them to the ceiling, instead of only two. They are highly intelligent animals, and in my experience, use that intelligence to avoid human contact like the plague.

Last edited:
Ok I shut this thread way too early yesterday,

Lets go back to wolf poop and worms. I am pumping water straight out of the creek into the cabin, for shower and dishes and such, but usually bring drinking water when I come.

The wolves are in the swamp constantly just up stream from the cabin, am I putting myself at risk by using wolf worm water? Is it a human contractible worm? For poop sake now I am going to go on a rampage to kill them all. Last weekend I put wolf poop stream water in the steam kettle for the top of the wood stove and turned it into airborne wolf poop worms. What the heck.

If you are serious about introducing gray wolves come capturing this pack and shipping them down there so I have clean water.

oz

Last edited:
Ok I shut this thread way too early yesterday,

Lets go back to wolf poop and worms. I am pumping water straight out of the creek into the cabin, for shower and dishes and such, but usually bring drinking water when I come.

The wolves are in the swamp constantly just up stream from the cabin, am I putting myself at risk by using wolf worm water? Is it a human contractible worm? For poop sake now I am going to go on a rampage to kill them all. Last weekend I put wolf poop stream water in the steam kettle for the top of the wood stove and turned it into airborne wolf poop worms. What the heck.

If you are serious about introducing gray wolves come capturing this pack and shipping them down there so I have clean water.

oz

slide_41.jpgStar_Trek_II_The_Wrath_of_Khan_034.jpgtrek2_ear.jpg

So here's two parasites you don't want to catch. One from water that a k-9 pooped in, the other came from Khan

Well I don't want to hijack the thread, so I will bow out with that thought,

Just hooked the water up a year ago last spring and I have a filter and ultraviolet purifier for it but have not taken the time to plumb them in. Guess I will get to work on that next spring before I turn the water back on. hmmm.

oz

i used to be from California and the coyotes in the urban areas do not fear humans. There has been many accounts when they have attack humans and children. This is the same for mountain lions. A wolf being the top apex would even be more brave if they are not hunted. Why would they fear a human??

I agree that hunting wolves will make them fear humans. I wonder if they would fear humans if we simply killed them whenever they threatened us? I hear they are pretty smart. Maybe not; maybe we have to actually hunt them to instill fear. Maybe we could conduct a scientific study. I would support that.

The original post was not about wolves being a danger to livestock. They definitely are. The post was about them being a danger to humans, which is ridiculous. Maybe once every 50 years someone in the US will be attacked and killed by wolves. In that time how many will be stomped on by moose or killed in an elk/vehicle accident.

If you think wolf populations are dense out west, come visit north-east and north-central Minnesota. We have, by a large margin, the highest population in the lower 48 contained in a relatively small area. I hear them every day and night that I deer hunt and see them often. They follow me in the dark when I walk to my stand and sniff the pup tent I stay in at night, as evidence by their tracks in the snow. If they wanted to eat me, it wouldn't be too hard. I'm often unarmed and never travel with a loaded gun unless I'm still-hunting. Wolves just don't attack people. The only time I've every seen them act remotely aggressive was when I was grouse hunting and my dog was with me. A few shots over their heads and they decided it wasn't in their best interest to kill my pooch.

Just because many are afraid of them doesn't make them dangerous.

I live in northern Wisconsin and completely agree. Many folks have an irrational fear of wolves. There are many things in the wild that could kill you and wolves don't even make the list. Also, we have far more wolves in the northwoods than in the Rocky Mountain West. I have plenty of experience in wolf country

It may be wise to have some fear of them but as stated I think it is not supported by any statistics.
When People come visit our remote cabin, they always want to go for a hike. The trail camera on the firewood stack in front of the cabin has taken pictures of bobcat, mt. lion, bear, coyote, and wolf. So the response is yeah have a great hike but take the bear spray from the nail by the door.
The conversation continues
them: why?
me: just incase
them: in case of what?
me: Bear, wolf, lion, etc.
them: which one should be fear the most
me: the one that is not afraid of you.

In the 30 years I have spent up there I have only been afraid once. It was wolves, and I called them in to me, it was my own fault and the fear was my own creation. I think the % of being in danger from any of the big ones is pretty small. Griz would be the one to fear the most. Any others you would require an extenuating circumstance. If fear of wild animals keeps you out of the woods, you need to spend more time in the woods.

So to the topic of the post, I would not rush out to support introducing gray wolves. Introduction will create many issues but danger to humans will not be a major one.
oz

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back