Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Any Experience with MR Pintler Pack?

kurtm2323

Hello all, I'm looking at "investing" in the Mystery Ranch Pintler pack for backpack hunting. There doesn't seem to be many reviews or videos online about it and was wondering if anyone here had any experiences with it? I usually do weekend overnight hunts and plan on using a large dry bag to sandwich in the load shelf for extended stays and hauling gear to base camp. I know the Metcalf would probably better suit my needs but I love the Tri-Zip design too much (messed around with it in a store a few months ago). Any info would be much appreciated! Thank you!

I believe the Pinter is a renamed Longbow with the guide light frame. It's been discussed a lot on this site and many others. Pretty much the gold standard that every pack company tries to copy. Do a search for Mystery Ranch pics and you'll see the capabilities this pack offers.

Somebody on here has a pic of me hauling out a moose hindquarter with my longbow this last September. You are probably right about the versatility of the Metcalf over the Pintler, but you probably can't go wrong with either, unless you plan to do some longer overnight hunts (+4 days).

Somebody on here has a pic of me hauling out a moose hindquarter with my longbow this last September.

I'm disappointed I don't. I think I was too mesmerized with your ability to go from overturned turtle to upright while harnessed to said load. Maybe Randy or Grant has one....? Regarding the topic at hand, I was impressed with that pack's ability to even fit that load.

I'm disappointed I don't. I think I was too mesmerized with your ability to go from overturned turtle to upright while harnessed to said load. Maybe Randy or Grant has one....? Regarding the topic at hand, I was impressed with that pack's ability to even fit that load.

It is a talent honed over years of overloaded ALICE packs....

Unfortunately I don't think anyone got a picture of the turtle move or the pack...I would have probably passed out trying to do that transition. I wish I wouldn't have forgotten my camera in the truck. Quite possible Travis or Gerald caught it.

Somebody on here has a pic of me hauling out a moose hindquarter with my longbow this last September. You are probably right about the versatility of the Metcalf over the Pintler, but you probably can't go wrong with either, unless you plan to do some longer overnight hunts (+4 days).

Unfortunately I don't think anyone got a picture of the turtle move or the pack...I would have probably passed out trying to do that transition. I wish I wouldn't have forgotten my camera in the truck. Quite possible Travis or Gerald caught it.

I got you homies.

https://vimeo.com/195538891

Thanks for the replies! and yes it does seem to be the Longbow with the new guide light frame. That video is a perfect representation of why I'm looking at MR packs! 2017 is supposed to be one of their biggest years for releasing things for their hunting line. I think more accessory based though.

that load with the quarter would of been a lot more comfortable if the load lifters were attached :D

I use the longbow for my daypack. I love it, and it got better when I added the load lifters which the Pintler now comes with(I think). I bought it because i liked the minimalist design and it was lighter then the Metcalf. The new packs are lighter so now I'm eyeing a Metcalf but I wouldn't get rid of my longbow. That being said, sometimes the tri zip design is annoying because it does not zip quietly and having to unzip/zip three separate zippers when your trying access the main compartment and not spook game bugs me. Also, I find it would be difficult to do a weekend hunt out of it but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
'Have not used it for backpacking yet, but love my recently acquired MR Metcalf for day hunts. It was easy to access for pulling out the warmer gear during recent cold temp hunts. It is the most comfortable pack I've owned.

I have used the Longbow for several years, as well as the Pintler. The benefits with the Pintler are the GuideLight frame (lighter, ReDirect waistbelt as well as built in load lifters) and the Overload Shelf that attaches to the frame and creates a 'connection' between the pack and frame, which the older NICE versions didn't have.

Also, it is a lighter version of the tried and true Longbow. Your idea of using a drybag between the frame and bag for extra gear, etc. is spot on; I have used it like that for a 3 day elk hunt, and it worked great. Put my clothes and lightweight sleeping bag in it. Once I got to camp, I dumped the camp gear, and had a really slick daypack setup ready to go, and with the Overload Shelf able to get an animal out. The 3 zip design is great. You can access it from the top like a standard ruck, or unzip the whole thing for bottom of the bag access.

2017 will bring out some great accessories too from MR. Bino harness, rifle scabbard, handgun holster and a very cool rifle sling system that allows you to go hands free, yet have instant access to the rifle.

I have both the Longbow bag and the Metcalf bag. The Longbow will do 4-5 day trips, but you'll be creative in your methods of lashing gear. It works great as a daypack. The Metcalf bag is much more versatile.

Hey this looks more like the overload 3 zip (military section on MR) and not the Pintler. Am I right? Reason I ask is I cannot decide if I want to buck and spend the extra $150 on the overload or go with the smaller Pintler. This video is super helpful as there's hardly anything on either of these packs on YouTube, but I'm pretty sure the turtle move was done with an overload (waist belt looks like overload)

Oh wait, nice frame vs. guidelite, right? MinnesotaHunter (or any others) do you have any other pictures or videos of that pack you wouldn't mind sharing? Thanks!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back