Minimum draw weight for elk

Speed magnifies flaws. Any little thing you do incorrect is magnified when arrow speed increases. I shoot a small diameter arrow with a 50 grain half outsert. I'm a shade under 500 grains. Lots of weight. Small diameter. Cut on contact blade.

Yes animals can duck a shot. Usually, a well placed shot will kill regardless if an animal ducks.

Once she hits 55lbs I would have her start adding a layers of cloths. She needs to be strong enough to shoot in what she is going to hunt. The weather, cloths, footing can all affect a persons ability to pull a bow back.

My son was great shooting in the back yard but then struggle to get his bow back in the tree stand. We got him going well but the day he killed his deer it was really cold. I ended up helping him pull it back. Imagine that in a tree stand!

I would look at Dirt Nap or Buzz cut Hornets. Those are good 2 blade heads that should have great penetration.

Elk are large deer with more muscle mass; while it may be hard to find; speaking from experience (It took me over a year of disappointment and searching to get my first heavy broadhead.); you want a heavy. 150 grain broadhead; more penetration.

One thing to consider is (if you build your own arrows), using a brass insert up front. Availability is good for most shafts on the market. If you're having trouble call Lancaster Archery and they will find it if its out there. The more weight you can pile up front the better. I also really like heavier arrows as they make your bow much quieter and will bomb through anything.

Along with this has anyone ever had fish and game ever check their draw weight or even question it? I'm going to be using a longbow this season and while I know it's over 50lbs I've never actually measured the draw weight at my length of pull.

Back