Caribou Gear Tarp

.50 or .54

KMWJR

I think Santa is going to bring me a muzzleloader this year!

Looking at getting a hawken style percussion cap etc. Hunting in Utah, Antelope to Elk.

The real question is should I be looking to get a .50 or a .54? Is there much of a difference? Forgive me if this is a novice question, I am totally green to muzzleloaders.

There are a lot more projectile options for a .50, which in my opinion makes it the better choice.

I hunt with a .50 Hawken. It's a CVA, I guess not as desirable as a T/C, but it's accurate, pretty, and fun to shoot.

The .50 will not jar your teeth as much. The .54 will push a bit more mass onto target. Do you plan on moose or bison? Do you like to stalk in close or touch off a round when reach edge of your comfort range? I prefer the .50 but like to get in close and practice a lot so less recoil is something I appreciate.

The .50 will not jar your teeth as much. The .54 will push a bit more mass onto target. Do you plan on moose or bison? Do you like to stalk in close or touch off a round when reach edge of your comfort range? I prefer the .50 but like to get in close and practice a lot so less recoil is something I appreciate.

I am 12-14 years out from drawing a Bison tag... but yes I plan on using a muzzy for the hunt. I suppose I can always pick up a second when I draw...

As for as style goes, I take the first ethical shot within my shooting range, I don't feel the need to get closer.

There are a lot more projectile options for a .50, which in my opinion makes it the better choice.

I hunt with a .50 Hawken. It's a CVA, I guess not as desirable as a T/C, but it's accurate, pretty, and fun to shoot.

I shot hammer guns for years before all of this inline/scope crap ruined the sport. I always used the .54 (and later, .58) just for the larger projectile. A .50 is plenty, though, and will kill stuff just fine. There definitely are more options for bullets with the .50. It seems like, sadly, the bigger calibers are going away because of the new projectiles for the .50 and all of the fancy guns that are .50 cal. I just went back to TC Maxiballs in my old inline, as it quit shooting the new stuff. It shoots them under three inches at 100 yards.

I love my .58 caliber Enfield, though, with the 530 Minnie balls. It smucks deer and elk with authority! My first mz deer was with a .54 TC Renegade with a maxiball. I also shot a number of deer with a .54 Lyman Great Plains round ball rifle with a Green Mountain custom barrel. I had a lot of fun with the old-style guns before I gave in and got a cheap .50 inline.

Whatever you choose, I applaud you for going with a hammer gun. If you have any questions, I will help answer them for you, as I spent a lot of years hunting only with mz rifles the old way.

I shoot a .54. Like others have said, it's getting difficult to find bullets for .54. I have also have seen fewer options for cleaning brushes and such. I have been using the Hornady Great Plains .54 425 grain bullets with good success, and buy a box whenever I see them since this caliber isn't as popular now.

Check the twist in your barrel it does make a difference for round ball or conical. Round ball is a slow twist say 1 in 66 where as my TC Hawkin 50 cal. is 1 in 48 and shoots both round ball or maxi balls just fine. The Lyman comes with both slow or fast twist barrels. If your going to shoot much get a lead pot and bullet mould and cast your own. It will pay for itself in no time. I've used the 50 cal. TC Maxi ball to take several deer. It does a great job.
Good luck and have fun.
Dan

My CVA hammer gun is a .50 cal and shoots the heck out of maxi balls pushed with 100 grains of powder. I try to keep shots within 50 yards with it.

.50, buy a barrel correctly twisted for conicals. Hornady Great Plains, TC Maxi and No excuses usually shoot well and penetrate.

I shot a couple deer with patched round ball, and I didn't care for the lack of penetration (I fully realize millions of critters have fallen to a patched round ball).

On a side note, anybody having a problem finding bullets for other-than-.50 caliber rifles, you might try Track of the Wolf. They are the only place that I can get .58 stuff and THE place for people who like to build their own rifles.

If you want to hunt elk sized game and bigger with roundballs then get the 54. If you are going to use conicals the nit doesn't matter.

I recommend looking at the lyman great plains in .54 "hunter barrel"1-32 twist,,,i own two of these and I like em and they shoot the great plains conical well,with good knock down for elk.I think .50 can be a bit small for elk myself.

I've had a .54 Lyman Deerstalker for many years. Roundballs, maxiballs, T7, Lyman 57 peep sight, hotshot nipple, CCI magnum primers, good to 100 yds. Last year I added CVA Optima inline .50 w ghost ring fiber optic sight, FPB. Inline is easier to shoot, a little more accurate, ghost ring easier on mature eyes than the peep. The Lyman is more fun. Either is good, both is better. Sounds like a Merry Christmas!

I have shot the .45, .50. and .54 and I like the .54 the most. I cast my own lead balls and hunt with them exclusively. I just like the heavier grain of the .54 but I am sure if a fella watches where he is shooting and doesn't stretch the range, any will do. By the way congratulations on your choice and good hunting!

Back