Caribou Gear Tarp

2016 lion season

BeartoothFront

Wondering if any MT, WY, or ID guys have been getting out chasing cats with some of this new snow. I know Montana opened Dec 1. Would love to see some pictures. Havent been out this year but if ive got time later I'll post a few I was on last year.

Was hoping to go out in the morning but seems I haven't bought my tag yet. So I better buy it tomorrow so I can use it next weekend. I Won't complain too much about sleeping in though

Been seeing a lot of cats in trees the last few weeks with all the new snow. Get on Instagram and you'll find plenty of photos.

A few tracks around here lately, but difficult to catch them without dogs. Oh well, just like the wolves- if I keep following the tracks, then maybe someday I can find one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 641
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 653
IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

Couldn't quite get a few of them turned. Still trying to figure out posting pictures on here. The 1st and 3rd picture is the same cat. While we were pulling the dogs off the tree FWP flew over with a chopper and started shooting wolves less than 200 yards from us... needless to say it was a pretty exciting day.

A few tracks around here lately, but difficult to catch them without dogs. Oh well, just like the wolves- if I keep following the tracks, then maybe someday I can find one.

El Unit, just keep after it. One day you'll get lucky. I got lucky this year and had 3 within bow range this year. One was well within bow range....10 yards. She didnt know I was there til I sat up and made sure she knew. Sorry the pics are crooked....cant figured out some of them.

IMG_0888-1.jpg

IMG_0889-1.jpg

Yes that is a cool picture with the green eyes. The guy with the dogs wanted the dogs to chase that cat some more so he told me to go pound on the tree so the cat would come down . After pounding for awhile I looked up and the cat was starting to come down. I grabbed my camera and took the picture and the flash went off, thus the green eyes. I did tell the guy he could come down here and pound on the damn tree though!!

Crazy cool pics! I've never seen one in the wild, but think they are one of the neatest critters. Thanks for sharing.

I went over the weekend. Saturday found a track, but my buddy that has dogs to run it had just turned out elsewhere on another track. When he finished up with that, we tried to run it later in the day, but heavy snow and wind had made it tough and with only a few hours in the day, called the dogs off because we knew it was going to be a long one and there wouldn't be time before the day was legally over.

Sunday I had high hopes and with my buddy nearby on standby, planned to have a fresh track found in the dark and have him there by legal chasing time. Instead I found wolf tracks. I moved to a different spot more wolf tracks. Different spot, more wolf tracks. Then another spot, finally no wolf tracks. No cat tracks either. Running out of time to turnout with a reasonable amount of time, I tried one more gate that i've seen cat tracks behind in the past. Surprise! F'n wolf tracks. Win some, ya lose some I guess.

I've been out five mornings in NW Montana with my two young hounds. We have only found one set of fresh bobcat tracks on the second day of season. The dogs got some good experience on chasing, not catching a bobcat, and had a jumped race until the bobcat went downhill and got out of the snow. I haven't found any fresh lion tracks yet. I've been driving 8-20 miles on the mornings I go out, but haven't had any luck yet. I should have waited for another day after recent snowfalls to allow more time for animals to travel. Two of the three days I went out were in the middle of a blizzard and the coyotes/hares were not even moving. Nice photos in the posts above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back