Finding bear locations on a map

160andup

I've been trying to scout via google earth for likely spots to run into a blackie this spring, in the end of May. I know south facing slopes, clearcuts, closed roads, etc.. I am currently thinking the mountain regions with south facing slopes is the style I want to hunt, as it may be difficult to judge how old clearcuts are from the internet, without boots on the ground. My question is, would any experienced bear hunters be willing to post a google earth image, or coordinates of a spot (NOT a spot you hunt, obviously) that to you feel looks like it would likely hold a bear during the month of May/June? Feel free to PM me if you would rather, I am just trying to get a feel of what to look for on the maps, so I can make the most of my limited time hunting. Any picture from any state would be helpful, I just want to get a feel for what to look for! Thanks!

I killed two bears here in consecutive years in the meadows on the right half of the screen shot. Scouting from a computer can be hard, one thing I learned the hard way was to pay attention to forest type. Two forests might look the same on an aerial photo but one may be a open old growth douglas fir and spruce and the other might be a dense larch choked hell hole. Definitely pays to use the google street view and to call a biologist in the area to determine what kind of vegetation you will be encountering.
Untitled 3.jpg

You can go back in years on ge and compare to see when areas were logged. I believe it's under the tools tab

Thanks for posting that pic. I've been looking at some fairly remote looking rugged avalanche chutes on south facing slopes, that seem like they should hold feeding bears in spring. Would love to see some pics if anyone has experience hunting avalanche chutes rather than clearcuts.

One of the problems i've found is that in certain areas sat maps don't show food sources very well. I've taken to driving up around those areas just to identify through the windshield manzanita, white pine, etc. A good idea as well is to give a call to a local wild biologist in your area to see what the bear eat during that season. Helps narrow down those say half a dozen slopes you are interested in. Good luck!

160 - to the good points already made, I've also found it useful to use hiking resources/forums and trail reviews depending on the type of area you're hunting and if any popular trails are around. It's helped me get an idea for the terrain but more importantly what wildlife hikers have seen in the area.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back