Alaska moose and caribou hunt using my aircraft

elkskinner

Looking for someone to work out the logistics with myself for a 2017 moose, caribou, and possibly black bear hunt. Having my own plane we can fly anywhere in the state and leave the plane on our camp site. Ton's of more details to work out. Being new to forums and postings I thought I would start with this short post to possibly have someone reply. I do know without meeting first to get to know each other, it will not work out.
Thanks Elkskinner

My first thought is that a good bush plane is going to take a LONG time to fly from NY to AK with a LOT of stops in between. I looked into getting a piper cub and those suckers fly SLOW. It is faster to drive than fly most of the places I was looking at. Unless there aren't any roads which is why they are so nice in Alaska! :cool:

What is your experience flying in the mountains and landing on bush strips? How big of a runway do you need or what type of aircraft? Payload? Have you flown with antlers strapped on a wing?

Just checking to see where we can get into. ;) Three animals each is going to be quite and adventure. I'll pass on the blackie, you mind if I shoot a grizz instead?

It would be nice, but that's a LONG way to fly with a small plane. Plus, there is no way for us to meet living this far apart. Hope you find what you need!

10 yrs as a Private Pilot. 500 take offs and landing. Two yrs ago trained in a kitfox at Boise ID. with CFI at the base of the Rock's. Adirondack mountain flying in my own state. My aircraft is a Kitfox SS cruise at 125 mph @ 75 % HP, stall speed 48 mph at gross weight 1550 #, it's a STOL aircraft. On wheels. Look up you tube video Moose hunt in the far north by John Kramer. This is what I want to do.

If your serious about that type of hunt send me a PM and we could talk about getting together and planning it out but I'm betting that the fuel used and time on the plane won't balance out with just hiring a charter up there unless your planning on leaving the plane up there. I personally would rather use my time off hunting than delivering a plane.

i live just above Griffis (KRME) so that end of the logistics this is an intriguing thought, but appears to be close to 24 hours of flight time (i figured it on 120 knots since winds won't always be favorable) and that is on a direct flight path so that part of the ordeal I know I wouldn't have the time off for.

that being said 2 alaska trips ago commercial flight still took 2 1/2 days to get from syracuse to anchorage so some long flights but small aircraft cross country could just be part of the adventure.

two things I would suggest: check with some other local pilots so then you can split up the actual pilot in command time so you don't fry your brains before you get there

if you are serious about it, I believe you can buy your 2017 license now and get it purchased before the prices double

Flying to Alaska in a small plane is an adventure.

Flying to Alaska in a small plane in September is quite the adventure.

Flying back from Alaska in late September is really quite the adventure.

Hunting in Alaska is an adventure.

Hunting for Moose and Caribou on the same hunt is quite the adventure.

2 guys hunting for Moose and Caribou on the same hunt is really quite the adventure.

Flying 2 moose, 2 caribou out of the backcountry in a Kitfox is a 2 week ordeal.

As somebody that has more than 10 years of a pilot certificate, has more than 500 take off and landings, taught himself to fly backcountry in some of the most challenging terrain in the Lower 48, as someone who has seen 4 caribou on the ground, and had to load them in aircraft, as someone who has packed moose out of Alaska, I can honestly say what you are proposing sounds like 5 year's of adventure, if you are doing it right.

To attempt all of it, or 50% of it, or even 25% of it in one year sounds like quite a bit to bite off.

Good luck, and send pictures.

This sounds like it could be a TV series. Just add in a woman and a bear attack and I think we've got something.

Awful lot of travel time involved here.

Back