4x4 Necessary for mid-May in NW Montana?

160andup

Is 4-wheel drive necessary to get to areas to find bears? How can I determine if roads are seasonal or not without driving to them and checking? Never been to this region before but was thinking about driving out with a small car in mid-May. Plan on hiking in several miles to find some untouched land with bears, but don't know if 4x4 is necessary. Any input? Thanks.

Hunt with what you can. Many bears I have shot in the spring a car would work. Others, not so much. You will be limiting yourself but if that is what you have make it work. Wherever the area you go might change but barring a snow storm(winters have been light where I am at) you would be able to get to areas with a car. Best of luck if I can help send me a pm

Not necessary. Good clearance and good tires to avoid rock punctures are probably a good idea. You might not get into every area but I see "tourists" driving cars in a lot of the places I hunt. Just be willing to exercise some discretion about how far you push it before you get stuck. Most roads are decent gravel with potholes. If you are hunting earlier in the season, residual snow is definitely going to be present and I would reccommend a 4x4.

In the spring everyday is a new adventure. You just never know what the roads will be like. Also it's common for the USFS to use temporary closures due to soft road beds on all the roads. Good luck on your hunt.

I always say the worst winter driving I have ever done is in April in Montana. May is not much better. 4WD is worth its weight in gold. That said, when I was younger and and broker I only had a Toyota Tercel. With a Hi-lift and chains, we had some mighty adventures and I never had to walk out. (Although it was close sometimes.) The downside of 4WD is you can get yourself SERIOUSLY stuck in places you would never even think of going with 2WD. So I would recommend 4WD, but would not let it stop you if you cannot afford it.

Guys that say 4WD isn't necessary haven't been in Montana long. Needing it once is reason enough. Be prepared for anything. Road conditions vary as to our snowpack. Sometimes there may be some snow between you and where you want to be. Bring chains too. Nobody has ever been over prepared for Spring driving in Montana. mtmuley

Guys that say 4WD isn't necessary haven't been in Montana long. Needing it once is reason enough. Be prepared for anything. Road conditions vary as to our snowpack. Sometimes there may be some snow between you and where you want to be. Bring chains too. Nobody has ever been over prepared for Spring driving in Montana. mtmuley

I look at a lot of great areas right off the paved highways. If the OP is willing to hike and doesn't mind passing on some spots that are too rough to access he'll have plenty of opportunity. Would a 4x4 be the best way to access NFS roads? Absolutely. Can a hunter get into great spots with a car? Sure. Not having four wheel drive is a limitation, not the doom of a good trip.

The downside of 4WD is you can get yourself SERIOUSLY stuck in places you would never even think of going with 2WD.

A buddy of mine uses the same logic but at the next level. He says that one pair of chains is just enough to get you really stuck. You need two.

Thanks for all the input. I will try to get an AWD SUV rather than the 2wd car I was planning on driving up! Having never been up that way before, I don't need any more limitations than I already have! Can't wait.

Well, keep things in perspective. Last year, a black bear broke into a home in rural Kalispell and killed a woman in her kitchen. Short drive off US 2. Soooo. Bears are where you find 'em! Or they find you. Have fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back