Caribou Gear

Kansas Fort Riley Cow Elk Rifle

'Tis a balmy 16 degrees, sunny and nearly calm in south central Kansas this afternoon. Even if you didn't see an elk, tracks could seriously show you some discernible pattern of movement. Hoping you can make it happen.

Great updates and pictures. I just started putting in for Kansas elk this year. Glad to see you drew the tag and hopefully you can get it filled.

I'm liking the update. I've got a ton of family in KS and keep telling them to apply for this and I'll come down and help them out. Did you make it out anymore?

Been out quite a few times... no luck. Kicked up quite a few nice deer but can't seem to find the elk. Difficult terrain no real way to glass or see real far.

Last day of the season is Saturday. I'll be hunting sunup to sundown. Now or never.

The sun set on the final day of Kansas elk season and unfortunately I still had a tag in my pocket. It's amazing how an animal this big is so good at staying invisible. I hunted sun up to sun down and hiked over 13 miles last Saturday... I can hardly walk. Hunting Fort Riley was a cool experience... love the wide open prairie without a fence in sight. Elk roamed Kansas in the hundreds of thousands before we market hunted them out of the state. Through hunter conservation we have a sustainable wild herd of about 300 elk. It was like going back in time chasing these massive animals. I'm 0/2 hunting elk... maybe next year I'll be able to punch a tag. now the only question is Colorado or Montana?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I like the rifle choice. I'll trade you an elk hunt for a WT/Turkey hunt...

Shoot me a DM 406Life... I probably couldnt get to Montana until 2018. But might be able to get you to Kansas in 2017 and then me come out there 2018.

I wish you could have filled that tag but you got to experience a hunt very few of us Kansas lads ever get to do in our home state. You stuck with it until the last and gave great effort. You are a young guy I see filled elk tags in your future, thanks for taking us along.

Yep, as filling a tag isn't everything. You gave it the old college try and I hope you get a lot more cracks at them down the line!

(edited) didn't read all comments before the post as there were so many. Good luck in he future.

Last edited:
Ttannahill, how long did it take you to draw that tag? Loved watching you play at KSU, btw.

Back