Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Mid-Layer shirt suggestions

MJE2083

I'm looking for suggestions(make/model) on a good mid-layer shirt (between base layer and jacket) to wear while deer hunting in the east. Needs to be breathable yet warm (no cotton). I'm thinking of a light fleece or sweatshirt type thing. I often wear a rag wool sweater in very cold temps but find it too hot for typical hunting temps here in the 40 deg range. Likewise I have tried wearing a light weight polyester long sleeve tshirt but find it to be too cold usually.

My layering combo for active hunting is First Lite Aerowool Minaret (next to skin), First Lite Chama zip t and First Lite Springer Vest. I'll run this down into the low 30's (depending on precip/wind I'll throw on a shell as needed). Breathes well, dries fairly quick (the Aerowool really dries fast), good warmth for the weight and doesn't stink. If I'm glassing or staying put for longer than 10-15 minutes I'll throw on a synthetic puffy.

If you're on a budget the Cabela's MicroTex shirts will fit the bill nicely. I used one on my mule deer hunt in UT this year, and was happy with it. I used that with a merino wool shirt underneath, and added my Kings Camo XKG jacket over. If it was really chilly I would add a light fleece over the MicroTex shirt. The hunt was in late Oct, and I never was cold. I'm 6'4" with a 6'8" wingspan, so the fact that I could get it in a tall size really helped.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...tegoryId=734095080&CQ_search=microtex&CQ_st=b

Ditto the Micro-tex. Love it.
I go with a couple different fleece layers or the old wool combat sweater I wear in cold. Merino or Capaline base layers and Berber fleece vest, a Kings Mtn parka w/removable liner or Rain suede over . Much like TexAG's set up.

Gotta agree w/ the Micro-Tex from Cabela's. Had their shirt this season and loved it.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've always felt funny wearing a collared, button-down shirt while hunting but I might give that microtex a try. It sounds like it would also double as a good upland game shirt. I was at basspro over the weekend and picked up a light weight polyester hoodie that was on clearance. It wasn't really what I was looking for but the price was right so I'll give it a shot too.

I go chama then pataguchi fleece then north branch, if I need to shed a layer it's the guchi, then NB, then chama.

I've gone through a ton of midlayers. I too like the Cabelas microtex but my favorite is the Russell pullovers ATX or GTX or something like that. I find myself wearing those more than all the other stuff combined including the Kuiu that costs way more. I just go with a merino base layer then the pullover. A vest with windstopper is another option. I like those for active days when it's chilly b/c they give my arms freedom of movement and a warm core.

Sitka has that new cold weather hoody that looks nice too. Traverse or something like that.

I have a Sitka Traverse shirt that I've been wearing for about 10 years now. I love the thing, and it just won't wear out.

The thing I like about the Microtex is long/tall sizing & tails that stay in,quick drying,long life/wear,outfitter camo pattern.
I also like Kings clothes. Won a Mtn parka years back for a hunt story & pics.
Just was given some more by I guy I helped with his wife's bull this year.
Cool, a new 1/4 zip fleece hoodie and a Desert camo shirt. Got some pants but they are 34x36 and I'm 33x34 slim....flaco.
Anyone want some brand new in bag Mtn Camo Kings hunting pants? I'll post in ads. free

As noted above it's tough to beat Cabela's microtex. I'm pretty sure they come in thin or thicker material. The heavier microtex wears like leather, dries fast, and is fairly warm. For warmer temps I like Sitka base layer shirts.

Thanks again for the input everyone. I got my microtex shirt and pants in the mail today. Pants are a bit long, but there was no choice in length. The material is a bit lighter than I expected ( I didn't see any option for thick or thin) In fact, as far as I could tell, there was only 1 shirt and 1 pair of pants (along with some hats) for sale on their website, I hope they're not phasing it out or something. They are running a sale right now BTW and some odd ball sizes were REALLY cheap if you're not picky about camo pattern. Sitka and First Lite is too rich for my blood so I'm looking forward to testing out this microtex, and I had some Cabela's credit card points to burn.

I have only seen one thickness of Micro-tex. Took me 10 yrs to wear the butt & knees out of 1st pair I had.
Is not as tough as some material I have seen of late but a fraction the cost.
They are very comfortable & quick drying. I adjust layers or wear a shell of rain suede or berber fleece over if real cold or wet.

Tip on the long pants,make a hem with parachute cord sown in center for drawstring.I stuck a mini spring clamp that is on most draw strings and debris,wind,snow etc stay out of boots & up leg.

Would like some Sitka Mtn pants but.....
...the Kings hoodie was real nice under the Micr-tex shirt & Berber fleece over everything on a scouting trip in the wee hours this morn! One nice fat cow heading out at 1st lite.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back