Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

2017 Alaska Moose/Caribou Hunt - Booked!

mdhunter61

I know we're still in the middle of hunting seasons here in the lower 48, it's rifle season for whitetails right now in Maryland where I live. But, it's never too early to get excited about next year's Alaska hunt! Flying in for moose and caribou in Unit 20, taking my buddy back to try to get his moose - he's shot caribou before, but hasn't connected on a moose yet. 9 months to get the legs in shape to hopefully pack meat!

He'll, I'm taking my son to BC on a 2 on 1 moose hunt next sept. I'm excited!

Awesome and good luck. Isn't 20 down on the Yukon? I hunted the Koyukuk once on a draw tag. Great times I am heading to Newfie next year for moose myself can't wait.

Awesome and good luck. Isn't 20 down on the Yukon? I hunted the Koyukuk once on a draw tag. Great times I am heading to Newfie next year for moose myself can't wait.

Yea, Unit 20 is the Fairbanks/Tanana/North Pole/Tok areas including the Yukon and Tanana rivers (and lots of other rivers), and goes east to the Canadian border. We're flying out of Tok. Good luck to you in Newfoundland, a guy I know here goes there for moose every 2-3 years.

Yea, Unit 20 is the Fairbanks/Tanana/North Pole/Tok areas including the Yukon and Tanana rivers (and lots of other rivers), and goes east to the Canadian border. We're flying out of Tok. Good luck to you in Newfoundland, a guy I know here goes there for moose every 2-3 years.

Are you using an outfitter or transporter?

This reminds me how bad it hurt to not use the moose tag I drew in AK this past year...

Good luck to you for next year!

Using a transporter to fly my buddy and I into the bush. Unguided hunt, but use an air taxi for transport.

Very cool! Myself and a buddy will also be chasing moose in the same area in 2017.

As always, I wish it was me going with you. Is your partner from this site, or another? I suspect I might recognize the face from previous posts. He is going for moose. Are getting a caribou tag? Or moose as well? Never mind, you are too smart to go deep with two moose tags. Best of luck to you guys.

As always, I wish it was me going with you. Is your partner from this site, or another? I suspect I might recognize the face from previous posts. He is going for moose. Are getting a caribou tag? Or moose as well? Never mind, you are too smart to go deep with two moose tags. Best of luck to you guys.

Hey Nick! Would love to do a moose hunt with you in the future, your caribou is still the giant among all those taken on my Alaska trips!

I'm bringing my best friend from Maryland with me this year, his 4th trip to Alaska to hunt. He has shot caribou, but no moose yet, so his moose is priority #1 for us. I will have a moose tag and a caribou tag (we're hunting an any-bull area for moose, so I'll be looking for a young meat bull). We're scheduled for 11 hunting days so I don't think we're over-tagged for that amount of time.

Perhaps you'll be an AK resident by the time we get to hunt together again... :)

Hey, Michael, good luck with your hunt next fall. Hope you and your buddy both get a shot at a bull. Did you get to go this fall? Because of some business issues, I have had to put a return trip on hold for a couple of years. Trying to get things lined out to go back in "18 or '19. Always researching on areas and whether to do a float or drop hunt. Alasaka sure got into my blood. Knute

Hey, Michael, good luck with your hunt next fall. Hope you and your buddy both get a shot at a bull. Did you get to go this fall? Because of some business issues, I have had to put a return trip on hold for a couple of years. Trying to get things lined out to go back in "18 or '19. Always researching on areas and whether to do a float or drop hunt. Alasaka sure got into my blood. Knute

I missed this fall Knute, I changed companies that I work for this year (same contract, but new company had the contract) so I didn't have enough leave saved up. I know some guys like a float hunt, my preference is to spend all of my time hunting once I set up camp. Limits the overall area I can hunt, but makes it easier to take care of meat and get it out of the field the day after I harvest it.

Awesome..I went out of Tok this Sept. Tagged a nice 60" bull, had a 3mile pack to the landing area 3 of us got it done in 4 trips each. Meat weighed in at 480# boned out. Opted to hunt the high tundra, not in valley or river bottom. The pack was not too bad walking the ridgeline was good firm ground, not too much tundra sponge.
We saw saeveral other bulls about a 12mile round trip, on foot. Tried calling another bull where we were with no luck. Think we were too late in the season to get bulls away from the cows, they get selfish when they get into estrous.
Be sure to discuss relocation options & fees with your air taxi ahead of time. We went home with an empty tag, due to cooperation about relocating!!

Awesome..I went out of Tok this Sept. Tagged a nice 60" bull, had a 3mile pack to the landing area 3 of us got it done in 4 trips each. Meat weighed in at 480# boned out. Opted to hunt the high tundra, not in valley or river bottom. The pack was not too bad walking the ridgeline was good firm ground, not too much tundra sponge.
We saw saeveral other bulls about a 12mile round trip, on foot. Tried calling another bull where we were with no luck. Think we were too late in the season to get bulls away from the cows, they get selfish when they get into estrous.
Be sure to discuss relocation options & fees with your air taxi ahead of time. We went home with an empty tag, due to cooperation about relocating!!

We're hoping if we connect on moose, that the pack is less than 3 miles, even on good terrain. :)

This will be my 7th trip I believe with this transporter, 40-Mile Air is top notch. I'm a big fan of their chilled boxcar to store your meat until you return to town; we'll be hunting for 11 days, so that takes a load off of my mind in terms of meat care. I much prefer ridgetop hunts to valley or lake hunts, easier to glass lots of country and move around if needed.

Glad you guys had a good hunt and got a great moose! The bull I shot back in 2006 had 510 pounds of boned-out meat, that's a freezer full for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back