Man with a Wyoming plan...well kind of

BucksnDucks

In 2010 I made a number of family decisions. We found that after surviving a tough couple of years (financially) it was time to enjoy life and family again. We all agreed to take family vacations as often as possible. That's also when I chose Wyoming as my out of state hunt destination. The only big game out of state experience I had was one trip to South Dakota for Whitetail. That hunt was fun but the drive through Wyoming had me wanting to stop and glass every ridge I saw. So every year now I've been buying points for my son and I. Deer and Antelope for both of us plus Elk for him. I decided to save $50 on myself because I've got an opportunity for Elk in Montana coming up and I'm cheap.

So fast forward to now. We hunted antelope in 2015 out of Pinedale and had a fantastic time. Currently we are sitting on 6 points each for deer and my son, 6 for elk. The boy graduated high school last year and is 19 y/o and obviously an adult hunter now. He still lives at home, works and goes to college. Where he will be in the next few years is uncertain. We have a pretty good idea about deer, but looking to hunt elk next season.

So here's our big decision. We are considering splitting points with his cousin from Montana for 3.5 average and putting in for a unit with a high probability of 3 point draw. This would be an attempt at first bulls for a 17 and 20 year old. Sounds great to them and there is possibility for me to have a cow tag or doe whitetail maybe even doe pronghorn.
My question is with 6 points is my son crazy to split points? Seems to me the blue chip units are still many years away and it would be great to hunt with his cousin while he is still a youth hunter.

Little background: Cousin just shot first big game animal (whitetail) this season. My son has shot several deer, one pronghorn and lots of wild pigs. I don't think either kid is expecting a 350b bull. I'm at a point were I would be pleased to help them on their first elk hunt, maybe fill freezer with a whitetail doe or two.

Crazy? No. Get out and hunt. I think the GENERAL elk tag in Wyoming is a good hunt. With a 3.5 point average you should be able to draw a limited quota tag that would be a good hunt and a ton of fun. At his age, I would hunt elk as much as he can. Worry less about "Glory tags" and more about sharpening his skills as an elk hunter. Elk hunting on public land is a different beast compared to deer. He will never catch the "Blue Chip" tags even at 6 points and his age. Being able to go with his cousin and yourself will make the hunt that much more enjoyable. One other thing to consider would be for them to buy the General Montana Elk tags and do a hunt together. That way they will get a taste of elk hunting and what to expect while still keeping their points for a future WY hunt instead of cashing them in and losing 6 years worth of points having never hunted the specie before. Either way, life is short, go hunt. You guys will have an absolute blast! Good luck

Thanks Blake. Montana is definitely in our future for elk and deer. We will be hunting elk in Wyoming for sure next season, though if we don't go with the plan discussed it will be a cow hunt in the same area.
Definitely getting a general buck tag for the nephew as well while he is still a youth hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back