How do you deal with Tennis Elbow (Tendinitis)

huntin' lunatic

Need some advice. Every year my tendinitis flares up as i get ready for the Texas archery season. I start practicing in July for the October whitetail opener. But this year the elbow has been unbearable. Went to the dr and and he prescribed Naproxen which only made me dizzy. I work with tools everyday so that doesn't help with the pain and discomfort. I even skipped archery season and have been gun hunting this year.
I bought a brand new Mission Ballistic that shoots great but at times I can't even hold it. I turned 60 this year and my son is fired up about going on a guided New Mexico elk hunt in 2017. Has anyone here had this problem before and what did you do? My son said we can go archery or gun. He just wants us to make this trip.

Let it rest completely for 2 months. Work back into it gfradually. Use cable machine at the gym to mimic drawing motion. Use light weight with lots of reps. Increase weight as you go. If you feel any thing coming on ice it every night and Ibprophin morning and night with food

I had tendinitis a few years ago, and the constant pain drove me crazy. It wouldn't go away! The doctor told me to put a wide restrictive band below my elbow, and that was the only thing that helped the pain and helped actually heal it. It gave the tendon an opportunity to heal. Tendons are like a rubberband. Maybe if you wear a tight band (ie. Ace bandage) below your elbow while shooting your bow, the tendon won't have the opportunity to become damaged at the elbow. I don't know, just an idea.

He is right the wide restrictive brace creates a new insertion point for the forearm muscles allowing the place where the tendon attaches the muscle to heal. Odds are there are microtears in the tendon that never quite heal and the repetitive motion has reaggrevated the symptoms. The two conditions are golfers elbow or medial epicondylitis or tennis elbow/lateral epicondylitis. Ice should be your best friend. You could also purchase a tens unit to help heal the tendinitis.

I've gotten prescriptions for steroids twice that totally kicked it in less than 24 hours. It's a 5 day regime where you take a little less each day. Sorry I can't recall the name of it off the top of my head but the stuff is magic! Comes in a dial pack and you take less each day. Naproxen is just Aleve, no prescription needed there.

A Dr visit is better than my recommendation, but a couple of years ago I had 'tennis elbow' in my bow arm. Mine got to a point where I would only have a couple of shots and then it was too painful to hold steady on target. After the season I put the bow down and rested it for a couple of months. I re-evaluated my form and changed my grip. It took a bit to relearn - but that was the cause for me. My old grip was really torquing my elbow.

Sounds like to me the issue is you work with your arms and can't totally rest it. I got this once after hanging tree stands all day(hanging on to the tree with my arm around it) and had it for over a month, never got any drugs, just sucked it up and it finally went away with rest. I suggest a lower poundage bow. You might also just get a cross bow, heck most everyone seems to be doing that now anyway. When I can't hold the bow any longer, I will just not do it anymore. Seem to be quite a few people with issues these days and they either do cross bow or lower poundage and it helps.

I have used the wide strap several times and it seems to help heal it. You can buy them at Walmart or any pharmacy type store.

Attachments

• IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 221
Get the above mentioned straps and put it on everyday and leave it on all day. I have actually had surgery on both elbows for tennis elbow. Now after 7 years it wants to still flair up, I put the straps to it and watch what I do, those things really do work

Sorry, Leaving it on all day isn't correct. You want to only use it when you are lifting or twisting under a load. You don't want your forearm to rely on the brace but use the brace to give those musculo-tendon junction a chance to heal.

Seriously, I would get tendinitis from playing racquetball and I only wore the brace/ strap while playing racquetball. It takes a bit to get over, rest is best but that brace helps a bunch. Good luck to you.

I sure appreciate all the experiences. I had tried the Copper sleeve but didn't work. Now I know I need the arm band below the elbow.
Never tried ice so now I will.
After the mention of the TENS unit, I remembered having one prescribed to me after a knee surgery. Found it, and turns out it was back from 2001 when I used it. Need to talk to a nurse friend of mine and let her show me how to work it. I looked at some on Amazon and they look like they are pretty simple to use and not that pricey. Some had some great reviews.
MN public hunter, I was actually considering trading my brand new bow for a crossbow in the same price range. Can elk be hunted with crossbow? My bow is already at 60 lbs draw weight.
Anyway, thanks for some great advice and keep it coming.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back