CO bear tag worth getting???

mnbearbaiter

Going to be muzzleloader deer hunting in sw CO this year provided I draw? Hunted the area for deer and elk in the past with success but never bear nor have I seen much sign in the past. Hunting over a carcass seems like it would be effective so anybody with any experience or knowledge would be great. Will be hunting up high near timberline or thereabouts and have read the articles that CODOW put out that the bear make an Aug migration downwards towards Oak Brush to get high calorie foods but that's all I've gathered. Anyway tags are easy to come by OTC w/cap and didn't even sellout this year to best of my kynowledge?

If you aren't too remote maybe you could run to town and buy the bear tag once you find a carcass to hunt over or create one yourself? My concern would be that if I had a bear tag that then I wouldn't be able to give my deer tag it's proper attention. I know there was one bear taken from the area I hunt doing this, but unsure if they had to buy that tag in the draw or OTC, I never have researched bear tags. Could be a great option if you have the option to extend your trip once you have a deer down.

Yep that's exactly what I'd do too. If I could kill a deer early on in the hunt, pack it back to town, get a ml bear tag from a DOW office then head back out. Tags are OTC with a set cap that doesn't get met for the ml allotment.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back