Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Late Archery Muleys

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Got here this afternoon. Spent the three hours of light scouring the hills for deer. Saw no deer. Not intentionally, but will make a good TV segment, I managed to get stuck, requiring chains on all four in order to rescue the day.

As my Dad used to say, "If you aren't getting stuck, you're hunting where the other guys are."

Not sure if that is true, but he got stuck more than anyone I ever hunted with. He was the Charlie Daniels of the Hi-lift jack.

IMG_20161201_183931.jpg

Hope to have some deer sightings before
season ends.

If you're in south Idaho, might want to keep those chains handy! There's some more fluffy stuff moving in. Have wasted many days digging vehicles out from mud and snow here in the Gem State! Good luck!

Looks like a blood'd arrow might work better'n a beacon'd nock in those conditions..

Good luck out there. If you are still struggling to find deer in a day or two, shoot me a message and I will point you to a few spots that have been good to me in the past.

good luck,,i just got back from Idaho last week and was hoping for snow on my muzzy hunt but it didn't come soon enough for my hunt,tag soup,,it looks white now and more is coming your way with all the precip were getting here in western Oregon.

A lot of hiking and one good buck slipped away just before sunset. Too many does to get anywhere close to shooting distance. Oh well, he was pretty well undisturbed and hopefully hangs around for a couple more days.

Morning temps forecast to be 5F. Saw no hunters and no boot prints today. Wondering if that forecast will keep hunters at home on a Saturday. Maybe they'll stay in the truck.

Amazing to have so much public land at my disposal and be the only one out hunting. I double checked my tag and season is still open and I am in the right unit.
20161202_210819.jpg

Welcome back to Idaho, wish I knew you were going to be here, I would have came up. How long are you here? I am going scouting for a late muzzy take this morning (Sat.), I have nothing going on (Sun.) (Mon.) (Tues.) if you need another set of eye's. What part of Idaho are you? you can PM me if you don't want to have that info. on the internet......
Matt

My face is the definition of "ruddy." Low temps and 20mph winds while glassing from high ridges do that to a guy.

Tried to set up on this big forkie today. He's got five does and puts the run on every buck that comes near. I think he is 3.5+ years old. A 3x3 tried to ease in on the does, but got chased off every time. Unfortunately that took the herd further and further away, though quite entertaining to watch over the course of an hour.

None of our encounters have been real close. Just too many eyes. A lone buck would be a welcome target.

I almost didn't come down here, given we only had three full days left. But I knew this winter, when I'm recouped and dreaming of hunting, I'd regret at least not giving it a try.

The locals who hunt this tag regularly say it's a tough year. Warm weather and little snow has kept the deer scattered and not consolidated on the winter range. I'm seeing more deer than I see in Montana mule deer hunts, so I seem to be enjoying it more than some of the locals I have talked to.

Tomorrow is it, with maybe a short hunt when we leave Monday morning. Hoping for a heavy dose of luck. I do like really big forkies with lots of mass and this guy would make me happy. Not a trophy by traditional standards, but a 3+ year old archery buck on the last day of a public land hunt in a unit I've never seen before would rank pretty high in my memory book.

More cold and wind slated for tomorrow. Ugggh.

Back