Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

jerky gun

I have an LEM jerky cannon that works well. I use it maybe once a year to do 10-15 lbs of burger into jerky. If I did more volume I'd probably want something different. I use the flat strip nozzle 90% of the time. If I'm making sticks I'll use my grinder sans plate and basically use that as a stuffer. If you go with a gun / cannon, get one with a big tube. The smaller capacity tubes are a pain to constantly fill every few strips.

Always used the Hi Mountain mixes, but just liked them so never tried many other mixes or recipes.

Ive used the 18 inch LEM in the past. As for a recipe, I use Hi Country blends and follow there instructions. As for tips on the gun, keep the meat as cold as you can, roll it into meat balls and plop them down the tube. Once you plop enough down I would install the end cap and work it, once it compacted a bit, I would pull the arm back and plop a few more meat balls down it, repeat till the gun is full. Then lay the strips out on the dehydrator. About 75% of the way done, I would pick the strips up and flip them over for the remaining time.

I have an LEM jerky cannon that works well. I use it maybe once a year to do 10-15 lbs of burger into jerky. If I did more volume I'd probably want something different. I use the flat strip nozzle 90% of the time. If I'm making sticks I'll use my grinder sans plate and basically use that as a stuffer. If you go with a gun / cannon, get one with a big tube. The smaller capacity tubes are a pain to constantly fill every few strips.

Always used the Hi Mountain mixes, but just liked them so never tried many other mixes or recipes.

I do exactly what he does....works good for me.

I use the Cabelas brand jerky gun with their pre-measured 5 pound batch recipes. It makes for a pretty simple way to get into making your own. Hi Mountain also makes good seasoning like the others have said. Once it's mixed and has sat in the fridge over night I do the same approach as Speeddmn as far as loading the jerky gun. It makes sure you don't end up with air pockets in the gun and gives you a more consistent pattern while speeding up the process. I smoke mine in a Big Chief with one pan of chips and then transfer it to the dehydrator to finish it.

I meant to add I always dried mine in a large smoker. I don't have the smoker anymore but wouldn't do anything different if I was using a dehydrated or oven. I squeezed the strips onto baking cooling racks, seemed to work well.

I use the Cabelas brand jerky gun with their pre-measured 5 pound batch recipes. It makes for a pretty simple way to get into making your own. Hi Mountain also makes good seasoning like the others have said. Once it's mixed and has sat in the fridge over night I do the same approach as Speeddmn as far as loading the jerky gun. It makes sure you don't end up with air pockets in the gun and gives you a more consistent pattern while speeding up the process. I smoke mine in a Big Chief with one pan of chips and then transfer it to the dehydrator to finish it.

I'm very similar except I haven't worried about soaking overnight. I think they work pretty well. I do go a little thicker than stated on the box, because I think it gives a better product. We just bought one of the bigger (10 tray) Cabelas dehydrators and it does a great job.

It's all I use to make jerky. Much easier than strips IMO/E and the wife and kids go through it FAST! I use the hi-mountain original spice mix and then kick it up with various add ins like cayenne or chipotle powder. Be sure to right down what and how much you use. Makes it easier to repeat if you like or to not if you do!

I have had one for some time. Makes jerky making so much easier. I use the cabelas jerky mix they have several to choose from all have been good so far. I would suggest getting a gun that holds more meat. I always have to load mine because of the small amount it holds but it still does the trick. I mix batch place in fridge overnight place in dehydrator around 5 hrs. I just bought a smoker this week can't wait to try that route

I have the Cabelas jerky gun and it works great. I use the Hi-Country jerky mix. My kids eat the jerky like candy.

Swing by and pick up a couple bags of moose meat before you get to making some.

I made some this year in my gun, mixed with ground beef that I got from a local steer. It is good but the beef had too much fat, making it render a bit (get oily) while dehydrating. So, my advice would be to stay lean!

Grant, Ed uses one a lot. I am not sure which model he has though. I am pretty sure he does Hi Mountain seasoning as well.

I just have a cheap price plastic gun. Don't recall the brand. I don't do anything special other then use more seasoning than the recipe calls for. I have used hi mountain, LEM and the seasoning that came with dehydrator. The stuff you had this year was LEM teriyaki. I like the wide strips for easier coverage. I shoot straight to dehydrator racks. 5 hours later it is good. You can be blot the jerky a couple times while dehydrating to remove grease. I have straight elk burger, so not necessary. I want to try strips cut from extra roasts in the smoker this winter. We shall see.

So what are you all using for a dehydrator? Mine is 20 years old and not very hot (145 degrees) so I worry about not getting it hot enough.

I use a Nesco brand jerky gun and their seasoning and cures. I prefer their original flavor. One pack of seasoning and one pound of cure to one pound of ground meat with no fat added. When dehydrating, be sure to dry the fat off of the meat.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back