Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Recurve Questions

Ttannahill14

My sister in law asked my wife and I for a recurve bow for Christmas...

I personally have never shot a recurve... nor really desire to shoot one.

Anyone want to point me in the right direction on buying a 16 year old female a good starter bow without breaking the bank?

Thanks!

I purchased a Fox a couple years ago for my son (now 9). Excellent bows for a budget price (ca. $100). They make several varieties and weights. Also visit a local archery pro shop. Nice to hear a 16 yo girl interested in archery.

Last edited:
I have a Martin Jaguar. It's an inexpensive bow, but I'm really impressed with it. It's around $200 and she would be able to hunt with it in the future if she decided to. You can also get it as a package that comes with arrows and a quiver. Another nice thing about it is that it's a takedown bow, so the limbs come off of it for easy storage. I have the 55# draw version and I hunt with it once in a while.

I haven't shot many different recurves but I really like my Samick Sage. If you want something a little more custom check out Mad dog bows. They make some youth bows that a pretty reasonably priced

I have a Martin Hunter bow and really like it a lot. It is smooth and very well built. Maybe too much for a starter bow, but it would be something she could hunt with forever.

I would first ask if she wants it to look like Fred Bears bow or Catnis Everdeens. Both recurve but quite different in appearance

I would first ask if she wants it to look like Fred Bears bow or Catnis Everdeens. Both recurve but quite different in appearance

I think she's more going for the Catnis look HA!

but seriously I doubt she'll ever hunt... she loves ALLLLLL animals and I don't think she could ever kill something. Mainly just wants to join in on shooting targets in the summer and have some fun while out camping.

Sounds like I can find a decent starter for under $200 though... which seems reasonable.

Hundreds of bowyers out there to choose from. Most all make good quality bows. At 16 years old, I wouldn't be looking into a youth model if she's of average height and build. I'd give St. Joe River Bows a call. The bowyer is a woman and great to deal with. I build my own and she's who I got my daughters last bow from.

Which others have you tried?

Bear Grizzly
Bear Montana
Hoyt Buffalo
Omega Original (great cheap custom bow btw)
PSE Razorback (good light poundage starter bow).

I'm relatively new to trad (less than a year) but I've shot a bunch and keep coming back to the Sage. There's a reason it's considered the best bang for the buck bow in the trad world (opinions of archers way more experienced than me!)

Not saying other bows are bad, but the Sage is certainly proven and recommend by those in the know.

Emrah

I think she's more going for the Catnis look HA!

but seriously I doubt she'll ever hunt... she loves ALLLLLL animals and I don't think she could ever kill something. Mainly just wants to join in on shooting targets in the summer and have some fun while out camping.

Sounds like I can find a decent starter for under $200 though... which seems reasonable.
Then I'd probably lean towards something with an aluminum riser.
2600x_203x500.jpg

http://www.3riversarchery.com/knight-takedown-recurve-bow.html

There are usually quite a few used bows on Craigslist, since Kansas doesn't have a minimum draw weight, I'd look for a recurve in the 40lb range. Pretty easy to pull back, but you don't have to strongarm it while you aim at a target. Can get the job done on deer if she decides to hunt. Bear is a good brand as is Martin. Make sure the limbs aren't twisted or delaminating if you buy used.

find a model then go to ebay. you don't want to invest to much into a first bow for a first time bow women. sometime people stop being interested in recurve and move to compound.

I would check pawnshops as well, I have picked up several good recurves from time to time.
When buying a used bow, make sure to examine the limbs VERY carefully and check for any cracking or separation. Also, take into consideration her height, a long recurve is more cumbersome for a small framed person. Something in the 35-45 # range should do nicely. One other accessory that is a must is a good arm guard, to avoid string slap, which will happen sooner or later.
feel free to PM me if you have questions, my wife and I shoot recurves mostly, and shot competitively.
good luck in your search!

As an archery coach I would suggest keeping the draw weight down around 25 pounds with a first recurve. With a bow like the Samick Sage you can get different limbs as she improves and gets stronger. The reason for the low draw weight is that it promotes good form. Most of the bad habits people develop come from being over-bowed. I am not a recurve expert by any means, but the Samicks that we used in our JOAD program were very durable and versatile. Hope this isn't too late to be useful.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back