A NW Montana day hunt-Wolf edition

Bulldog0156

I was on the fence about posting this story, but decided to tell it. I've bought a wolf tag the last two falls since you never know what may happen when you're out in the woods.

Last weekend I went out with the plan to deer hunt in a new area relatively close to where I have been exploring this fall. I had been seeing quite a few does but only a couple bucks so far. I had seen one pretty good mature buck that I decided to pass on shooting since I saw him right at the start of the rut and I figured there would be plenty more opportunities. Since I was heading to a new area, I decided to sleep in and time things so that I would be leaving the truck right at shooting light or a little after. I was intending to hunt very low and figured the place would be crawling with deer.

An hour and a half into my hunt, I had sat a couple open places and tried some rattling with no response. The area was logged at some point in time and had some openings. I had not seen much for deer sign either, and in fact had seen more evidence of elk than deer. I decided to make my way towards an old logging road that appeared on satellite imagery.

Shortly after I hit what was left of the road, I saw a couple white tails flashing across the road about 150 yards away; the deer didn't appear to be spooked but instead it looked as if it was a buck chasing a doe. I got into shooting position as quick as I could, in time to see a small spike chasing the doe back across the road. I continued my way down the road, hoping a bigger buck might show himself but to no avail. I did see one more small deer as I made my way down the road but it saw me first and quickly disappeared. After making my way maybe 2/3 of a mile down the road, I decided to turn around and head back to the truck. The lack of deer sign and abundance of predator sign was making it pretty obvious that there were better places to be looking for deer. I had found a pretty recent wolf kill of a cow elk near the logging road. I figured there was no point taking my time getting back to the truck, I was burning daylight and I might as well be burning it in an area that holds deer. I needed to cross a creek to get back to my truck and was looking for the crossing I had used on my way in when I saw a yellow flash of fur come up out of the creek bottom, right where I had crossed the creek on my way in. I instantly knew it was a wolf. The wolf was moving at a trot in a half-moon trajectory around me. It was spooked but apparently not too scared. I raised up to shoot but I couldn't get my fingers out of my flip-over mitten before it went behind a small group of trees. I quickly made a move to my right and brought my rifle up; if the wolf kept moving in the same direction I figured I'd have a split second shot before the wolf disappeared into the trees. Sure enough, it cleared the small group of trees it went behind and stopped 90 yards away, quartering away looking over its left shoulder-away from me. I quickly settled the crosshairs on the middle of the body and squeezed the trigger. It instantly reacted by biting where I hit it and then disappeared.

A rushing sense of the events that had just unfolded then overcame me; "holy shit, I just killed a wolf." I just stood there for a brief second before going to search for it. I made it about 60 yards when I saw yellow fur behind the pine tree that the wolf was in front of when I shot.

When I took it to the check station to get it tagged, they estimated the wolf to be a year and a half old. It was a female, and as far as I could tell, she had been all by herself.

It was a strange feeling to shoot a wolf. I left the truck that morning with the intention of hopefully finding and shooting a deer. As I progressed through the morning I started thinking more and more that I might actually see a wolf because of all the sign I was seeing. To actually see one at close range like that and actually get a shot was really a surprise to me though. This was the third wolf I have seen this hunting season. The first two I saw while hunting elk, and they were a mile or two away both times. Wolves are really cool animals and I'm glad to see that they have done so well since their reintroduction. I think in the long run, the health of the deer and elk herds will benefit from wolves in the ecosystem. At the same time, I'm also glad that Montana has the ability to manage its wolfpacks.

Attachments

• DSCF1660.jpg
    DSCF1660.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,949
  • DSCF1662.jpg
    DSCF1662.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,944
Great shot and good memories there! I've seen wolves a couple of times but never been able to connect the dots with seasons, tags and opportunity. One day it will be my turn.

Why were you "on the fence" about telling your story of killing a wolf? mtmuley

Why were you "on the fence" about telling your story of killing a wolf? mtmuley

Well frankly there are people out there that may not take too kindly to it. There are also those that say kill them all, which is a viewpoint I do not share.

Nameless, I'm getting it tanned and the skull beetled.

Overall, I'm OK with passing that nice buck early in the season. Everything worked out pretty well.

I don't think anyone here would condemn you for killing a wolf. Kill them all? Can't happen in this day and age. But having a tag and taking one when opportunity arrises is a good thing. Congrats, it's a special feeling. mtmuley

Truly awesome! Congrats!
Someday I wish to experience that feeling...someday.

Nice story and shot. Thanks for sharing and thinning out the predator population.

Were you by any chance down in the Swan? I've seen a bunch of sign down there this season.

That is awesome. I had one pop out on a logging road on opening day of elk and deer season, 20 yds away and hw was faster than I was. I was in the Swan and into elk when I saw him. He was a big one but I missed him. That is the first wolf I have seen while hunting and since we have started hunting them. I saw one at 120 yds during bow season the first year we had a season but no a bow season. Congrats That is a beautiful wolf. Got my caller charged up and ready to go sometime this week.

I was on the fence about posting this story, but decided to tell it. I've bought a wolf tag the last two falls since you never know what may happen when you're out in the woods.

Last weekend I went out with the plan to deer hunt in a new area relatively close to where I have been exploring this fall. I had been seeing quite a few does but only a couple bucks so far. I had seen one pretty good mature buck that I decided to pass on shooting since I saw him right at the start of the rut and I figured there would be plenty more opportunities. Since I was heading to a new area, I decided to sleep in and time things so that I would be leaving the truck right at shooting light or a little after. I was intending to hunt very low and figured the place would be crawling with deer.

An hour and a half into my hunt, I had sat a couple open places and tried some rattling with no response. The area was logged at some point in time and had some openings. I had not seen much for deer sign either, and in fact had seen more evidence of elk than deer. I decided to make my way towards an old logging road that appeared on satellite imagery.

Shortly after I hit what was left of the road, I saw a couple white tails flashing across the road about 150 yards away; the deer didn't appear to be spooked but instead it looked as if it was a buck chasing a doe. I got into shooting position as quick as I could, in time to see a small spike chasing the doe back across the road. I continued my way down the road, hoping a bigger buck might show himself but to no avail. I did see one more small deer as I made my way down the road but it saw me first and quickly disappeared. After making my way maybe 2/3 of a mile down the road, I decided to turn around and head back to the truck. The lack of deer sign and abundance of predator sign was making it pretty obvious that there were better places to be looking for deer. I had found a pretty recent wolf kill of a cow elk near the logging road. I figured there was no point taking my time getting back to the truck, I was burning daylight and I might as well be burning it in an area that holds deer. I needed to cross a creek to get back to my truck and was looking for the crossing I had used on my way in when I saw a yellow flash of fur come up out of the creek bottom, right where I had crossed the creek on my way in. I instantly knew it was a wolf. The wolf was moving at a trot in a half-moon trajectory around me. It was spooked but apparently not too scared. I raised up to shoot but I couldn't get my fingers out of my flip-over mitten before it went behind a small group of trees. I quickly made a move to my right and brought my rifle up; if the wolf kept moving in the same direction I figured I'd have a split second shot before the wolf disappeared into the trees. Sure enough, it cleared the small group of trees it went behind and stopped 90 yards away, quartering away looking over its left shoulder-away from me. I quickly settled the crosshairs on the middle of the body and squeezed the trigger. It instantly reacted by biting where I hit it and then disappeared.

A rushing sense of the events that had just unfolded then overcame me; "holy shit, I just killed a wolf." I just stood there for a brief second before going to search for it. I made it about 60 yards when I saw yellow fur behind the pine tree that the wolf was in front of when I shot.

When I took it to the check station to get it tagged, they estimated the wolf to be a year and a half old. It was a female, and as far as I could tell, she had been all by herself.

It was a strange feeling to shoot a wolf. I left the truck that morning with the intention of hopefully finding and shooting a deer. As I progressed through the morning I started thinking more and more that I might actually see a wolf because of all the sign I was seeing. To actually see one at close range like that and actually get a shot was really a surprise to me though. This was the third wolf I have seen this hunting season. The first two I saw while hunting elk, and they were a mile or two away both times. Wolves are really cool animals and I'm glad to see that they have done so well since their reintroduction. I think in the long run, the health of the deer and elk herds will benefit from wolves in the ecosystem. At the same time, I'm also glad that Montana has the ability to manage its wolfpacks.

Noone is going to point out the elephant in the last paragraph? Oh what a pc world we live in.

Noone is going to point out the elephant in the last paragraph? Oh what a pc world we live in.

PC? Elephant in the room? Could just be that this hunter has a right to his own opinion and stated it.

Congrats! Well told story, and what a trophy and memory you have!

Ha, it's funny how polarizing WE make wolves and wolf management, as if there isn't enough coming from outside the hunting community. Predators are a necessary part of a healthy ecosystem, and everything fluctuates.
Thanks for telling the story. Great shot, too! I'm sure it will make a cool rug and skull.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back