Ideas on pants for stalking

zadvorney

I've found a good place to hunt white tails on some public land. It's river bottoms so the vegetation is tall grass, young willows and mud. As I found out quickly the other day, my light wool pants over fleece under pants was like wearing a sponge. I haven't hunted this type of terrain much before, usually open hard woods. In the woods there is little chance to pick up the boat load of water i received walking through the grass and mud. I have to walk a long arz way, an hour down hill, to get there just to start hunting. Starting my day with soaked pants has been very un-fun. I like the wool outer shell as it is super quiet through dry grass and when the willows snap against my legs. If it's dry out it breaths well when I heat up. The main issue is the water retention. Can I treat it with something or is there a better system. I have tried gortex rain pants but between the loud FWAAP! sound every time a twig hit my leg and the serious case of steamed eggs it was a nogo. Is the new gear , KUIU Sitka and such applicable? I relate it to if you were going pheasant hunting all day in waist high switch grass while it was raining, then what would you wear. ?Directions?

If you are willing to risk the wool pants, try treating them with a dwr spray, wash in like nikwax, or silicone. Not sure what would happen. Otherwise, look at hiking pants, especially polyester. they will likely be a little quieter than nylon. Often they already have dwr treatment. They dry very quickly. millions of kinds- eddie bauer, under armour, prana, outdoor research, even wrangler. If wool is the problem, and its cold, you may also want a polyester base layer like UA. I have kuiu attack pants, but I think they may be too warm, and seem like they would hold more water than the thinner hiking pants. but they are super quiet and comfortable. You may also look at the kuiu chugach or other rainwear, like first lite boundary stormtight. I have the chugach coat and it is HIGHLY breathable, and seems quieter than most rain gear, and very waterproof.

I wear waxed cotton upland chaps for such occasions. Easy to take off and on as needed.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back